Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Application fees

Are application fees becoming a thing of the past? How many schools still collect application fees?

I think application fees are not popular with students but are necessary to cover cost. I relatively low application fee is preferred with these hard economic times. They've been around a long time and I don't see them going away anytime soon.

Some Universities are doing away with application fees. We charge a small application fee. We think by doing so it holds the student more accountable for starting class.

Our school charges a nominal application fee.

I was unaware that certain organizations no longer charge application fees. In my experience all organizations do in order to "hold the students" more accountable as another individual stated previously. I believe that it is a good practice.

Instead of an application fee we charge a tuition deposit that comes off of the tuition. It makes the prospective student feel better that they believe the money is going into their tuition instead of just being money that they pay to apply and then never see again. But it is basically the same concept. Holds their spot, locks tuition, pays for financial aid to start doing processing paperwork, etc.

Instead of an application fee we have a registration fee. This fee gets the registration process started for students. It is also a non-refundable fee for students if they choose to cancel after the allotted time frame outlined in the enrollment agreement. It is listed as a separate fee however, it is included in the total price paid for tuition. Therefore, student are not caught off guard with additional fees.

I honestly believe that application fees are becoming a thing of the past. With the way the economy has been, and the lack of job opportunities for people that don't already have them, I think it is vital that schools either reduce, or eliminate application fees alotogether. With a reduction, it's easier for people to part with $25 as opposed to $125 dollars. Psychologically, the $25 fee would be easier to part with. So I truly think this should be taken into consideration.

I think with the economy being the way it is, it's a way to help students look at more schools and apply to more schools. I think with some schools doing away with application fee's a lot of schools will follow suit.

We have done away with our application fee but instead collect a one time reg fee. I think it is harded for a student to come up with money to apply because of the hard economic times.

Our school does not charge an application fee. We also give an entrance exam for the nursing program that is usually ~$60 but we don't charge for that either.

Our school does not have an application fee, which is good for the student. However I believe a small application fee could help the school weed out individuals that are not serious about going to school.

Our school still has an application fee. What I find is that this holds up a lot of students. Many of our prospects simply cannot come up with it, and that does not mean they are not serious they just don’t have it. I like students to be as serious as possible, know that it is not refundable and have done their research. This tells me that once they know and have done their part and are willing to pay and enroll that the chances of them completing their education is higher.

We require students pay an "Enrollment Fee." Students can freely apply for programs; however, once accepted, they are required to pay this fee upon enrollment.

Our School charges a nominal application fee only when student bring their paper back for enrollment of their program.

Sign In to comment