Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Scope of the Representative's Role

In what ways is it permissible for Agents/Reps to participate in the placement assistance process?

As a represenative, I feel our role in the placement assistance process is to educate the students on the programs/careers out there that are growing and giving the students knowledge about the university thus aiding with the admissions process.

Here at my location, I would love to become more involved in my students placement assistance process.

Placement assistance is a function of Career Services. We can assist students best by ensuring that they have met the Director and staff in this department and feel comfortable with the resources available to them. I do give sample student success (without names of the student) provided from time to time by our leadership.

Placement Assistance is the responsibility of Career Services, who have the proper training to offer this type of counseling to our students. As an Admissions Rep, it is my responsibility to inform the student about the programs we offer, and ask probing questions that will help the student determine what career path he feels he is best suited for.

Career services and admssions are tied together by the students desire to obtain employment upon graduation. As an admissions rep we should look at the prospects application with the positive end result of employment in mind.

Miachael,

That is an excellent point. Career services and admissions are tied together and it is important for admissions representatives to understand that.

I agree that both are tied together, but play a uniquely differen't role in that process of helping a student decide on a school for continuing education. The 'field rep' is there to provide informaion about the school regarding programs, softwares used and general information that gives a student the basics about the college they represent. If a high school student shows a greater interst in knowing more, it is up to the field rep to convey that to the inside admissions team what the student wants to know more of. Together, both arms of admissions can deliver the proper information that helps the high school student and their family in making the right choice for education after they graduate.

Yes, I agree placement is the job of career services. However as admission represenatatives, we need to be updated on where are students are being placed-- this is important for our potential students. What we have done at our campus to stay in the loop is have a career board that we show on the tour. The board illustrates every month graduates that have been placed and where they have gone for employment.

As an agent, I address placement assistance in a few ways. First, I let the prospective student know our Career Services team is here to assist them during the phases of deciding what job environment is right for them, resume assistance, and mock interviews, and all the way through helping with placement. Next I show the job placement rates, and finally, I introduce the Career Services team and give the student an opportunity to ask questions.

As an admissions Representative, most prospectives students ask about career placement. I have noticed that is one of the first questions being asked. It is very important that we address that we have a career services department that helps students with resumes, mock interviews and gives them the proper tools in order to be ready for the interview process and/or career placement. I also would also make sure that the student has information about the job placement rates in their specific career field and all of the information that will allow them to be successful during their education. Everyone on the discussion forum has brought up key information that is very helpful on ways to address the placement assistance for a prospective student. I have gathered a lot of great ideas that will help me become a better agent/admissions representative.

Sign In to comment