Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Planning Tools Effectively

What kinds of planning tools are already used by your institution? How much of the existing planning tools will you use? What new planning tools will you bring to the project?

Planning tools used at our institution are numerous. For example. the institution relies heavily on demographic data. The influx of Hispanics into communities is a great indicator for us. The more Hispanics moving into a sector, the more we need a bilingual institution. We are now increasing our contacts with the community to ensure we are meeting the community needs.

George,

Is your institution completely bilingual? That truly is a point of distinction. I'm interested!

Dr. Lisa Sharpe

We tend to use home grown planning tools by creating excel spreadsheets or word docs with charts to track projects. When I started managing the curriculum department, I implemented the use of RedBooth, which is a cloud-based tool for tracking team projects and communication. This works well for us as we send files back and forth with comments.

The company also uses Microsoft sharepoint heavily to track internal data, but not necessarily track timelines. This course introduced me to PERT, which is something I had not encountered before, and I am reading up on it, to see if it could inform our current processes.

Kimberly,

Wow, that's cool! Good for you for using a cloud-based, up to date tracking tool. We don't need to re-invent the wheel.

Dr. Lisa Sharpe

Sign In to comment