Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Graduate Placement Data

Our Career Services Department is a great resource for providing information on employers that currently hire our graduates and those who don't. On occasion, this department has been instrumental in providing key contacts for phone interviews or surveys. And, since we have developed a relationship with those employers who hire our graduates, we get good participation/involvement.

Who on staff has information about the companies that currently hire your graduates an companies that do not? How can you work together to gather missing company information?

I found that the student services career and employment department is an excellent resource to determine which companies hire the school's graduates. Likely, student services representatives have developed a "target" industry list to contact ongoing as graduates become available.

Also, instructors,externship mentors, advisory board members, and former graduates in the field, are a resource for gathering missing company information.

S. Burnell

Your CS department plays a critical role in new program development. This is why reducing turnover and hiring a real winning attitude in that department is key. They are the caboose and must be willing and able to get out there and create a strong network. It cannot just be done over the phone.

Like many other schools, our career services department offers a wealth of information on the companies that do and do not hire our students. However, I have also found that out extern supervisors also have a pretty good pulse on this data as well. Sometimes externs sites hire students and sometimes it is because the students remain in communication with their extern supervisor. Recently, I have also found it rather instructive to browse resumes on sites such as Indeed to see where our former grads are working.

Victoria,

The idea of reviewing resumes of former grads out there in sites like indeed is an excellent idea. Does your career services department shy away from sites that do not hire your graduates?

Christopher Nickell

As in most schools, our career services department keeps information on the companies that hire and do not hire our graduates. It is also a good idea to consult with the externship/clinical department as sometimes graduates are hired by the sites. Both of these department can provide sound information regarding companies that hire and do not hire grads.

The career services department maintains all of the information regarding companies that currently hire our graduates and those that do not. Biweekly meetings with instructors, staff, and externship coordinators opens the line of communication regarding any information that may be missing. Sometimes reaching out to graduates also helps because they may have information regarding the employment of their friends.

Who on staff has information about the companies that currently hire your graduates and companies that do not? How can you work together to gather missing company information?

the student services manager and the job placement department here in our institution is in charge of knowing which companies are hiring in the area.

Alain,
I have had quite a bit off success involving faculty in the placement process. Have you ever considered trying this? I have had faculty volunteer as subject matter experts, and also use their connections to help placement connect with local employers.

Lisa Sharpe

Career Services team works closely with the companies that hire grads. We also meet with employers through networking events and outreach to promote college. We do alot of employer visist to gather information.

Thanks!
Dorothy

Dorothy,

How do you screen the companies (and the graduates) for plcement? I've worked many areas, but never in Career Services, so I am interested if you use a formal screening process, and if so, what the details are.

Dr. Lisa Sharpe

Sign In to comment