Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor Orientation

This module provides an example of a four-phase approach for online instructor orientation. Describe your orientation experience and how it compared/contrasted with the model presented. Do you have any ways you would improve the four-phase approach?

Our institution is just starting to develop an online/distance learning presence. We currently don't have anything formalized when it comes to how we are going to train faculty in this environment. The 4 step model described seemed as though it would have benefits, and I believe it would give us a good starting point.

Joshua,
Very good. I am glad to know when folks are able to make a practical application of the course material. Thank you.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Josh,
Best wishes on your startup. You are wise to put this effort into your faculty onboarding. Their buyin to the institution's mission is a critical component for the school's success.
Dr. S, David Vaillancourt

Several of our faculty members were online students so they were familiar with the LMS functionality from a student use perspective. Transitioning them to an online faculty user was a bit more challenging. Research has shown that adult learners assimilate information best by having a thorough explanation followed by performing the task. Adequate time should be allowed for mastery of each segment before moving to the next topic. Our LMS has many functions; assignments, gradebook, attendance and discussion boards. We have sectioned the faculty instructional sessions into these four areas. We also noticed that additional or repeated training sessions devoted to these four areas have decreased the number of help desk tickets and frustration for both IT staff and faculty.

Carolyn,
Your description of the faculty LMS training describes a clearly effective training system. This is an important central component of the overall faculty orientation. Thank you for sharing your insights.

As the instructor of a course, it was extremely helpful that I had previously been a student in the course. I was very familiar with the materials, but the online delivery system and learning outcomes assessment were different from the time I was a student. It is reassuring to see that the standards of measurement are constantly evolving. So, from the asynchronous perspective, I was able to gather what I had to do and how to do it.

In the synchronous phase, it was good that I was in contact by email with my supervisor to make sure that my grading rubric for the essays in the course was compliant with the required standards.

The Phase 3 period was productive in that I was able to present to my peers some of the issues that were arising with student interpretation of the essay guidelines. I was able to adjust the language to be clearer in the instructions for the essay assignments.

Phase 4 showed that the content and grading process will continue to evolve in the next year or so. I am grateful to have peers and a supervisor with whom I can communicate my challenges in this course. their feedback is invaluable.

William,
The continued improvement through a collaborative learning community is a valuable tool to have. Many online instructors have not experienced this. I am very glad to know you have it.

Sign In to comment