Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grade books

What is the ultimate reason why students should not have access to grade books?

The grade book allows instructors to evaluate students' work and post their grades. Students are then able to judge their own personal performance based on their posted grades and comments from the instructors. I personally think that any good Course Management System must have a grade book component.

JJ Asongu

Januarius,
Thank you for that contribution. I agree that the "grade book" is a significant component of a viable LMS and should be reviewed by the faculty before being implemented. Are there elements of your grade book that your faculty believe could be added or are missing?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I have used various grade books, from Blackboard to Moodle and I find them all to be basically good. We're using Moodle at SMU and so far, both facilitators and students like it.

JJ

Januarius,
Moodle has some distinct advantages by being open source and as long as you are satisfied with its grade book function, I would encourage you to stay with it primarily because your students and faculty like it.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I agree that good CMS must have a grade book component available for both students and instructors.

Hayme,
Yes, how would you train your faculty and administrators to manage the grade book program? It is obvious, but often overlooked that the security of the grade book program must be maintained and student access restricted. How do you manage your grade book?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Each student has access to their own "indiviadual" grade book in order for them to keep track of their own personal assignment, assessment/test scores and overall grade. The instructor has access to the entire grade book where he/she can make changes to grades, scores etc. manually. Teh instructor can also view an overall class average in a certain section for example, the class average of the chapter 2 test scores and the over all average of ALL test scores etc.

We user a program named Edline. It is a very convenient program to track daily attendance, post assignments, and grade assignments. We post students grades weekly and students are able to view the pdf report when they log in. Instructors need the program running constantly during class so security is an issue. Instructors are required to sign out when they leave the classroom. In addition the system times you out automatically.

Hazel,
This sounds like a good system for handling your grade books. How are you currently managing the security issues? Are faculty managing the direct input and implementation of grade book features or are these elements being managed by IT?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

There is no reason for them not to.

Brian,
Your response to this Forum is too superficial, please elaborate.The question is: What is the "ultimate reason," or at least one reason, why students should "not" have access to grade books?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment