Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Phillip,
I'm not sure what you mean by stating "...instant online education is guaranteed" with reference to the Forum question. You certainly did not answer the question of "why institutions offer online courses." I suggest you reflect on the question and try again.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Our institution is planning on opening a BSN program and we want to be able to deliver the pre-reqs necessary for our students to start their major courses without requiring a lot of additional space or labs.

Although online schooling does not work for every individual, it certainly seems to be taking the educational world by storm. Online coursework has infiltrated the educational arena so much that high schoolers can now obtain their HSDs 100% remotely if they choose; and elementary school teachers are implementing some online activities in their classrooms. Who would have thought??? However, in regards to my own institution, I believe the important reasons for embarking on online delivery of courses would have to include convenience for our students and competitiveness for the institution.

It is a reality that all the schools want to compete in the industry of technology because it is part of our current challenge. Nevertheless, it is true that online courses and school websites offer another possibility to the students to practice and acquire expertise in a content area as well as the knowledge and abilities required to continue their studies. I consider online programs are really good and necessary not only for the students, but also for the teachers that need to be prepared to face the NEW HIGH TECH ERA. That is why I consider that institutions offer online courses and programs for their benefit and for the benefit of others that have the desire to learn or the obligation to continuously increase their career potential.

Hi Marta. I definitely coincide with you in the aspect that offering online courses the students have another possibility to continue their studies. It is an opportunity they can get advantage to. The most important aspect is to lead the students adequately for them to be discipline in acquiring a conscious learning.

Mileidys,
Thank you for your response. Granted many institutions see themselves in a "no alternative" state in order to remain competitive; however, doing so without a formal "online learning strategy" could lead to spending a lot of resources just trying to maintain a place in the distance education market. How would you propose assessing the value of entering into the distance learning space and matching it to a return on investment?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Mileidys,
Could you elaborate on how you would position your online learning strategy to address the needs of a diverse student population? Secondly, how would you assess the effectiveness of "...leading [sic] the students adequately for them to be disciplined [sic] in acquiring a conscious learning"?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Be competitive, more schools now offer distance learning programs. Other reason could be accessibility for all. Online programs open the doors for all people that have not chance to attend an onsite class for different reasons (diversity). I believe that online programs is an option for those who want to achieve their professional goals in their own pace.

Betsy,
Good response. How would you integrate your current academic strategy with an online strategy to achieve comparatively, similar retention and completion rates as your on ground programs?

Dr. Robert Roehrich

Our institution started as an online school in order to provide educational programs for those who are working and/or cannot travel to a physical campus. We studied course design in light of facilitating student interaction with the content, other students, and with the instructors. Our study and subsequent evaluations show that this is a necessary and effective means of delivering education for many (not all) students.

Hi Martha
At our school, we ran into the problem of student procrastination. We were able to tighten up assignment due date requirements, creating a better structure, and it helped quite a bit. I think that communicating clearly the expectations between the student and the school is helpful. Some students need more structure in order to succeed. I trust you have been able to mitigate this issue at your institution.

Christopher,
Beginning to offer quality online programs is a major undertaking that should always start with an "online learning strategy" that interfaces with the mission and goals of the institution. As part of that strategy student-to-content, student-to-faculty and student-to-student engagements are necessary and should be carefully thought out, planned and measured to ensure the online course is achieving the stated learning objectives. Unfortunately, many schools start off by thinking they will offer online learning to increase revenue and "keep-up" with the competition and course design is only one aspect of providing a quality and sustainable online program. It sounds like your institution is in the early stages of offering online instruction.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Christopher,
Providing structure is a crucial element, especially for the population typically targeted with online programs. In addition, to follow your thread, setting clear expectations is an essential element that must tie into a comprehensive orientation program, which is necessary for developing a clear understanding of the expectations as well as the commitment for success in an online program.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment