Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation

I work at a distance learning school and often times it is hard to gauge how effective the orientation is since there are no in-person demonstrations or face-to-face discussions. What methods should we use to make sure the instructor is prepared for the job?

You can determine the success of orientation by how pleased you (primarily with handling students) are and how pleased students are (primarily with a lack of complaints). There should be a mentor or lead instructor to review responses and teaching techniques of the new instructor.

Orientation should be an initial step in the ongoing process of developing an instructor. The new instructor should be encouraged to be in regular contact with someone who can answer her/his questions and give suggestions on how to best handle challenging situations.

This was a good question Amanda.

I also work at a distance learning school. A method we have employed is in our internal staff training section. Not only does this team coordinate and ensure that staff are getting the developmental training that is needed, but they have also put together an orientation training program that not only introduces the instructors to the organization, but also to current online instructional methods. The new instructors are not assigned to a course load until they have successfully completed this training program. I have had two adjunct instructors complete the training program and cannot believe the ease in which the instructors have adapted to a new system and methodology.

I think the best orientation is one that gives policy information and goes over the culture of the school. It would be best served to have a few current members of the staff there to express what they do on a daily basis and give their tips. Anything that will help the new member of the student become accustomed to the new surrondings.

You might want to increase the frequency of feedback, and be careful not to wait too long. Additionally, establish a good market feedback process that allows the students to provide anonymous feedback on a per class basis for the first few sessions. Once you're satisfied that the data suggest good process, you can back off the internal of supervision.

Great suggestion. You really do want to have your pulse on things, so you know if they are working early in the process.

Normally, I have already given the hired instructor a tour of the school and other information at the interview. For orientation, I introduce them to staff and faculty and provide them with a short powerpoint presentation.

Sign In to comment