Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Welcome Package for Advisory Board

Should the Welcome Package for an Advisory Board be similar to the one for the Governing Board?

Syndia,

The advisory board package should be similar and contain many of the same items you would include in your governing board package; the major difference would be the absence of financial information or governance related items. Keep in mind the differences between the board responsibility levels as outlined in the course; this should help you choose the contents.

R. Roehrich

I think there would be some duplication but since each board has its on membership criteria the packets would also be unique to each board.

Charles,

There are also the variables of accreditation and/or regulations that may drive the "content" of the packets. Have you run into this?

R. Roehrich

There would be some duplication in the welcome packet. The packet for a Governing Board would include strategic plans and financial information while those items would be eliminated from an Advisory Board packet. In reading the material in Managing Board Meetings, I have a greater appreciation for the purpose and benefits of a Welcome Package and Board Member orientation. I see these as valable opportunities to communicate the important role of a Board to prospective members. Preparing documents for the packet can also serve to define the schools expectations of the Board's contributions to institutional success.

Carolyn,
Thank you for your comment. Starting with a welcoming packet helps launch your board and provides a good transition for new members. How would you bridge from the welcome packet to your board orientation

Dr. Robert Roehrich

The Welcome Packet may be overwhelming to some new members. I would ask the members to bring their welcome packet with them to orientation and allocate time to review the contents and clarify any areas of concern or question. Failure to provide members with a solid understanding of the materials and their responsibilities would only serve to set them and the entire board up for failure.

Carolyn,
Good answer! Who from your institution would you include in the "orientation session? What criteria would you use to determine that your session was successful?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment