Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing a cultural diverse Advisory Board

How can I develop a manageable Advisory Board to combine the cultural background of our students as well as their community, when students reside in three different counties and come from numerous countries?

Hello
Syndia..

I will think that it would be great if you can have representation of the different cultures you have in your institution. I know it is not easy, but I think it will help to have manageable Advisory Board. Differences will negotiated at table in a proactive way.

It sounds to you?

Syndia,

Recognizing that it would be virtually impossible to have a complete refection your student population on your advisory board, I would look at your diversification numbers and identify the largest ethnic populations. Once you've identified the largest groups; then seek out advisory board members from those communities, e.g. African-American, Asian, etc. You could also identify advisory board members from other countries who could participate in “virtual” advisory board meetings; assuming you have the resources and capability to conduct virtual meetings.

R. Roehrich

Elvira,

Syndia has completed the course, but I wanted to respond to your posting. Having a diverse advisory board is commendable, but how do you determine the “mix” of members to maintain the manageability you referenced? Second, where do you recruit the members from so there is an equitable match between your student population and the advisory members? I'm a bit puzzled by your reference to “negotiating” at the table in a proactive way, please elaborate.

R. Roehrich

What Im trring to say, is that is there iare different point of view dute cultural mix, it could be discussed and resolve in the board in the benefit of the school.
Usually people with different cultures hasvery different point of view of a lot things..
( I meanis this were the case )
Sorry about my english..Im latin and i Know english but i have to practice a lot...maybe .
thank you...
I have to say your courses are excellent.

Elvira,

I got the intent of your message and thank you for following-up. If in fact your student population is as diverse as it seems, then your approach is sound and commendable.

I also appreciate your comment about the course.

R. Roehrich

I don't think your board members necessarily have to be of the same culture or ethnicity of your students to thoroughly represent them. However, I think it is helpful to have people that are well read and even better well traveled.

Charles,

I agree; however, if you anticipate ever having your students meet with your advisory board, it is reinforcing for them to see members they can relate to from an ethnic or cultural perspective. Out of curiosity, how would you assess how "well read" a potential member is and could you also elaborate on why being "well traveled" is a key for your members?

R. Roehrich

Dr. Roehrich,
I would go a step further and say it is ideal to have advisory board members who have had similar life experiences as the students. Many of my students are first generation college students and many of them are coming back to school to change their lives. If people on the board had gone through as difficult times as my students are going through they might be able to suggest how better to help the students and have ideas for the faculty to connect with the students.

Craig

Craig,

You make an excellent point. However, I believe diversity among the members backgrounds provides for more lively discussions and contrasting input. I would encourage a mix of members with similar "life" experiences and some who are decidedly different. How you would get members with similar experiences (as your students) without being tempted to have a board comprised of many of your own graduates?

R. Roehrich

While not necessary, I do believe it extremely necessary to establish a diverse representative mix of cultures and experiences.

Our school focuses on International Education (IB modeled) and we serve an extremely diverse population. When establishing the school, the Founding Board consisted of 2 American Males and 2 American females. Our ethnic profile however, was 70% other. In short, there was little student family involvement at our Board meetings, many of which only consisted of Board members. Many of the considerations and decisions made were void of cultural considerations such as observance of certain holidays or praying times, etc.

Quickly recognizing that the Founding Board makeup was not representative of the organization, we formed a student advisory Board and held interviews. One of the criteria for participation on the SAB was that one parent had to attend their 1st Board meeting.

At this meeting, the Founding Board announced additional Board openings, encouraged family members to apply or recruit others that they thought could assist us in becoming a more culturally astute, higher functioning Board. After proper vetting, 3 non American Board members were added, who represented 3 of the other cultures at the school. The SAB remains to ensure, in part, that all ethnicities and cultures are considered and respected providing new perspectives for the Founding Board to consider.

Timothy ,
I appreciate the thoroughness of your posting and commend you on the actions you have taken to establish a culturally diverse student advisory board and engaging the parents in the process. Now that you have created the vehicle, how will you engage them while avoiding cross cultural faux pas that could damage a relationship or create tensions on the board or with in the school? I might suggest as an option, a "cross cultural awareness" training that focuses on cross cultural business etiquette and respect for other peoples cultures.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Dr. Roehrich,

Well received advice. We have two professors that are BCLAD ((Bilingual Crosscultural, Language, and Academic Development) certified that I will approach regarding a training to encompass these elements.

Timothy ,
This is a great way to get faculty buy-in for your cross-cultural initiatives! I look forward to hearing about your future successes and if I can be of any further assistance to you in the future, you can reach me through MaxKnowledge.
Best Regards,
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Embracing diversity, allowing for the expression of different opinions brings with it the opportunity for global thinking. Lateral vision is created by a community that values the varied opinions, thoughts and concepts of others. Having access to thought that comes from global experience brings a wealth of varied understanding, the very seed of growth.Diverse groups think globally rather than locally.

Michael,
You make some very good points. In determining who should be on your board to provide what you are looking for, I'd suggest a screening process that specifically addresses them. This way your prospects get a feeling for what you expect and you have the opportunity to get the alignment you're looking for. Are there other ways you can think of to achieve your goals?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment