Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Year, New Board?

Traditionally we have had only a handful of “regular” advisory board members. A high percentage of our members are rather nomadic in nature - that is, we see them a few times (rarely in a row), then never again. Often we see them just once! It seems to me that we should to get these members off of our advisory board rosters, since it gives us a false number and hence false assumptions about how many we can expect at a given meeting. How do we ask these members to resign the board without burning bridges in the local (and small) business community?

Josefer:

I liked your comment about “nomadic” advisory board members; unfortunately their nomadic style isn't providing you with the continuity you need or are looking for. I suggest sending your current membership a letter thanking them for their service and advising them with the beginning of the new calendar year, you'll be restructuring and refreshing your campus advisory board and you would appreciate their recommendations for new members. I don't think you need to go into detail, but that's your decision. Just be sure to recognize them for their contributions and express your appreciation for their commitment to your school.

Use the processes described in this course to establish your new board and set the expectations for attendance right up-front. Be clear with the new board that you and your students are depending on them for their input and that attendance is absolutely essential for the new board's success. I think if you follow the procedures I've covered in the course, you'll experience less of the wandering you now have to deal with.

R. Roehrich

Dr. Roehrich,

Thank you for your suggestion as I have a similar situation as Josefer's and I will be taking your advise of restructuring and refreshing the campus advisory board.

Suhas,

You're welcome! This is the value of reading the Forum postings and having an opportunioty to apply what someone else is trying.

Best,
R. Roehrich

To keep board members active, it is important to show them how their ideas and suggestions have been implemented at the school. Board members must know that you are not only soliciting their comments, but are also acting on them. If you choose not to implement the suggestions of the board, let them know why. This will show you've researched and considered their suggestions.

Justin,

I couldn't agree with you more.

R. Roehrich

We all benefit from feedback and a Board has the same desire - to know that their time and energy is well spent and contributes to the success of the school. Based on my readings in the forum, I plan to add an agenda item: Proposal Action. That (hopefully) will insure that the members receive feedback on their recommendations regardless of whether the recomendation was acted upon, tabled or dismissed for cause.

Dr. Carolyn Farrell

Carolyn,
Excellent observation! Setting "Proposed [sic} Action" as an agenda item communicates to the board members that their input is taken seriously and that they will be informed of the action and results of their recommendations.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Crafting meaningful activities for board members can be challenging. The initial reason for selecting the members may still be valid but it may be that they do not clearly see how they can contribute thus motivation is to attend is low.

Before requesting members step down, consider asking for their assistance in one or two key projects. Once identified, you can work with members to develop activities relevant to the project areas thus engaging advisory board members in the months between full board meetings.

Perhaps, even ask members to report out on the interim activities at the board meeting thus giving a reason for them to attend / participate.

Elizabeth,
Good strategy. Assuming the board members would have term limits, there should be an annual rotational schedule to provide leadership with the option of either renewing or not renewing a board member's term. Typically board terms are three years, so it's still up to the leadership to actively engage the board annually, in meaningful activities that affect the institution. It's primarily up to the executive leadership to engage the board in ways that contribute to the sustainability and viability of the school. Likewise, it's up to the leadership to provide lively and stimulating meetings. It's not productive to just give reports and PowerPoint presentations; meaningful discussions, projects (as you suggested) and problem solving will get board members more involved and motivate them to continue to be engaged. Giving them the responsibility to report to the balance of the board is also a very good way to establish accountability.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment