Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Most Significant Influence?

"Measuring an organization's performance has by far the single most significant or paramount influence on its success." Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I absolutely agree. How can your company be successful if you haven’t even defined what makes your company a success. How good your company is doing is only an opinion without benchmarking it against its peers.

I agree. Performance measurement ultimately allows you to set goals then track whether the set goals are being met. It allows you to see where you are today, where you want to be and a measured way to reach the desired success.

Brian, Remember they are only a tool. Expected outcomes include the appropriate level of communication around the KPIs.

Ron Obstfeld

I agree. It would seem obvious that defining goals, tracking performance related to those goals and analyzing and evaluating the results is critical to any organization's success no matter the industry or size. Operating blindly and hoping for the best is a foolhardy approach which will likely lead to one's demise. I would also add, that many can measure but not all have the ability to interpret the results and apply meaningful solutions.

Remember they are only a tool. Expected outcomes include the appropriate level of communication around the KPIs.

Remember they are only a tool. Expected outcomes include the appropriate level of communication around the KPIs.

Rufus,

Ron Obstfeld

I agree. Performance measurement is a tool that allow you to track whether the goals that were set are being met. Through continued communication these tools can track where the company is today, tomorrow and beyond

Roselyn,
Remeber too, that goal setting and goal management is a joint responsibility. It is important that a person take responsibility for their goal achievement.

Ron Obstfeld

I tend to disagree because a measure is a simplification of a complex process into just a few dimensions. For example, testing the time to perform a task (which may be embedded into a KPI) is a projection of all the efforts, rules, contexts, agents, and other factors during the execution of a task into a simple variable. Thus, it’s a value we artificially derive in the attempt to optimize process. (Don’t get me wrong, such things are VERY useful and worth study.) But is the projection of a complex process or system into a simple variable really the most important thing to consider? Not really. I would state a collection of measures and their interaction as to model the process would be far more useful and insightful during optimization.

Nonetheless, I do have to admit measurement is a key tool in revamping, revising, and pushing the envelope of an organization. I appreciate it as a tool, and if I am lucky, watching two measures interact can offer insight into how the organization functions.

Sign In to comment