Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Performance Measures

Of the performance measures presented in this course which ones have you used? Which have been the most effective in addressing your organization's needs?

I have and do use KPI’s to track week over week, month over month, and year over year registration.

Mostly I use Process KPI's. Routinely used for steps required for applicant registration, number of follow up emails, phone calls, etc. Using the KPI's allows me to complete multiple complex daily tasks - strategically.

Over the course of my career in two different industries I've used the BSC - responsible for developing one in a distribution company and the other in an educational business setting.

The BSC was more effective in the educational setting, primarily because of the experience I had in implementing it. It also seemed to lend itself more easily (from an implementation and acceptance standpoint) in academia - seemed to be embraced more readily.

Was extremely effective in the educational environment in creating KPIs centered in tying student and organizational performance and creating CSFs for them. Probably most difficult was analyzing data as a number of subjective elements (especially regarding student performance) had to be considered and weighed.

I was previously working in the for-profit education sector, and have made a transition to the community college educational system. WOW, what a change. What we do measure (ie: retention), I don't believe we measure accurately. I am attempting to take my business background in proprietary education and implement some of the performance based systems into the environment that I am in. I am finding it a challenge, as the IR dept confesses to me that we often don't properly measure our KPI's correctly.

It is a challenge for me as of current, as I loved how information was at my finger tips on a daily basis in proprietary education, yet I very much appreciate the culture of the CC system and how it is centered on student learning from start to finish.

Yet, times are a changin' - New measurements (KPI's) are being implemented at the federal and state level(as an outcome of the recent scrutiny of for profit providers) - accountability is on the way to state run education now!

I am happy to take the business and performance mind into this environment and to begin assessing how we are now serving students, supporting them to persistence and completion, and focusing on placement - of which will be the primary performance metrics going forward (enrollment is secondary now, but links direct to revenue), academic performance and SAP management (intervention opportunities), assessment of student learning of established outcomes (through assessing daily / term grades and progression of student grades), retention, completion (certificate or degree levels), and finally - placement. Looking forward to taking what I learned in this course and getting my rule out!

We are moving our student educational delivery system to a cohort mode, which will now enable us to measure the progress of students, their success, where they need help, etc, etc all the way to completion. I look forward to having a daily, weekly, montly, term dashboard very soon!

Gene,
Looks like you found value in this course and will be able to apply your learnings. I suggest that performance measures must have a direct correlation to the business objectives as well as to education measures. Students that learn and then can find jobs or advance academically are your best advertisement..

Good luck!!

Ron

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment