Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hiring

When is it appropriate for a non-HR employee to discuss salary?

Victor,
It is appropriate to provide salary range information to a candidate who is interviewing or prospective new hire. However,it is up to the hiring manager to negotiate and discuss the determination of the actual salaryonce the hiring decision has been made.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

In line with this question, my Director will actually dismiss any new hire prospects who ask email about salary when we state in the job listing that "pay is commensurate to experience." So my question is, is it fair not to offer a salary range when a potential new hire asks and instead postpone the discussion at the interview? Perhaps even dismiss the candidacy if the question is even posed prior to the interview? To be fair to my Director, he is very fair when he determines pay, he has a willingness to pay handsomely to anyone he feels will support the company mission and growth.

Jeanie,

It seems I'm a bit late to this discussion. After reading this thread, my thought is that your Director's dismissal of prospects asking the question about pay seems a bit premature. Having recently been on the market for a new position, a job seeker is over-whelmed with pre-screening job descriptions and filling out job applications. One of the best pre-screening tools I found was to search for jobs that offered salaries similar to the one I had been earning. It's upsetting to hear that hiring authorities are choosing not to consider applicants for asking a valid question. 

Eric

Sign In to comment