Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cell phone ringing during an interview

I find it very annoying when I am interviewing a candidate and their cell phone rings. To me it does not matter if this candidate has all the right credentials and interviews well, they are almost always immediately eliminated from the running especially if they answer the call. This I associate with professionalism, or lack of. Candidates leave your cell phone in the car.

Karon,
My apologies for the delay in responding to your posting but your postings got lost in cyberspace.
Cell phone ettiquette is always a concern. In all of the interviewing that I have done, I have never had a candidate's cell phone ring. I guess I have been lucky. Many factors need to be taken into consideration in deciding how to handle the candidate from that point forward. If the position has been one that is difficult to fill, I might ask the candidate to please turn the phone off if it rings. If this is a major irritant for you, you might want to begin every interview with the statement, to please turn their cell phone off or to silence the ring. I agree with you that it is an indicator of professionalism and yet, for some positions, we expect employees to be available 24/7. It becomes a matter of where do you draw the line.
Pat

To me I always start off the interview asking them kindly to make sure their phones are off or on silent. That way if their cell phone goes off during the interview i can make a note that they did not follow instructions. this gives me an insite to whether or not they are following directives. I don't disqualify them right off the bat, but it does bring up red flag's during the interview process. We all try to hire the most qualifed canadates for the positions we are trying to fill, so something as simple as a canidate not following instructions can be a big clue to their possiable job performance.

Stuart,
Good idea. I have not done that but rather look at that as an error on their part and certainly a consideration at the point in time where I am making the hire decision. Cell phones are such a big part of our lives today, I can understand if someone fails or forgets to silence their cell phone. How they handle that interruption is another factor to take into consideration. Do they apologize, do they now turn it off, etc.
Dr. Patricia Kapper

I agree completely, on the flip side, it is important for the interviewer to display the same level of professionalism. On more than one occasion, I have been in an interview and the hiring manager's phone has gone off and I felt completely disrespected.

James,
The interviewer should be establishing a professional environment in which to interview. The ground rules of turning the cell phone off should apply to both individuals. I agree with you that to not do so does feel disrespectful. However, you only have control over your own behavior.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

James,
The interviewer should be establishing a professional environment in which to interview. The ground rules of turning the cell phone off should apply to both individuals. I agree with you that to not do so does feel disrespectful. However, you only have control over your own behavior.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I fully agree that yes it is an annoyance if a cell phone rings during an interview; and it has happened, it should not disqualify the candidate outright. I believe that it can be used as a tool or learning experience on both parts. 1) On the part of the interviewer to fully set forth the boundaries and level of professionalism expected from a candidate and 2)If the candidate is lucky enough to be asked back for a second interview, to see if they take constructive criticism well and are willing to mold themselves to the expectations of the company. They could be that proverbial "diamond in the rough".

Absoltutely, being that I am now in the position to hire staff at my school, I have become acutely aware of my phone and turning off my Pc so I am not checking my E-mails as they come in.

omar,
If it happens once, it is excusable, but if it happens twice, then I have cause for concern. Interviews are stressful situations and it is possible that a candidate could forget to turn off the ringer. Even a vibrating phone can be an annoyance, however. It should not be necessary to tell them what they need to do. How they handle the interruption will be very telling in terms of their viability as a potential employee.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

James,
The professional courtesy extends both ways. I also put a note on my door to indicate that I am conducting an interview so that there are no interruptions. I want that person to feel that they are the most important person which is no different than how we want our teachers and staff to make our students feel. How the candidate handles the ringing or vibrating phone will give you a clue as to their ability to prioritize and their ability to handle stress.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I love this idea. Right off the bat you tell them to please turn their cell phone off or to vibrate. To me it is a friendly reminder to them and yourself. If I did not tell them this in the beginning and their cell went off, chances are they forgot and I would not dismiss them for that reason. Although, if they take the call than that is a different story altogether.

Katherine,
I do find the vibrate to be both an annoyance and a distraction as well. You make a good point that turning off the cell phone applies to both the candidate and the interviewer. For the interviewer to leave their phone on and, worse yet, to take a call is most discourteous. Candidates are like guests in our homes and should be treated as such.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I have to agree 100%. If I were to go to an interview I would just do that; leave my cell phone in my car or turn it off. If they would have the phone on or ringing in the interview, I would think that the interuption(s) would also be present during the work day. If I made an offer to that indivudual, why would they think that it would be an issue at work?

Margie,
You make a good point regarding the message sent to the candidate. If we fail to acknowledge the fact that this is not acceptable during an interview, it will be assumed that it is okay during work hours, too. It is hard to believe that this would be an issue, but cell phones have become another appendage in our society. Making our expectations clear from the beginning reduces the need to take disciplinary action later.

Pat Kapper

Sign In to comment