Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Proper transition from Employee's assessment to the Management’s

I am new to Management and have the first opportunity to do the formal evaluation coming up. I have a couple of employees that have already done the self evaluation and have evaluated themselves much higher than I believe their actual performance level is. I understand that opening the process with the employee assessing themselves is valuable. However, how then do I transition to my assessment while still making it feel like a partnership meeting?

This is a very difficult situation due to the fact that as employees we always see ourselves performing at a higher level than some of our supervisor view us. I would actually give them some specifics on what I have observed and hopefully we can move forward in a positive direction that will assist the employee understand our expectations.

After reviewing the self-evaluation with the employee and receiving the employees comments as to why they evaluated their self at the level that they have, I would address with them the positives of their views and redirect their thinking to meeting the goals that we have outlined for their current job duties. Reassure them of where we would like to see them at with our goals.

Rating one's self is difficult and often times this can get sticky as rating higher is sometimes done in hopes of translating to a raise or other benefit. I agree with basically making sure the scale that is used is clear and objective. That way if there are differing opinions as to level of performance, it can be sited by more objective measures. Sometimes effort is what people score themselves on rather than final product. Making an employee feel all along the way that their efforts are noticed and with positive feedback, they tend to show a better product. Also, as per the course, getting 360 degree feedback is important.

I think I would go over thier assesment and ask them why they felt they deserved the ratings that they gave themselves. Then I would continue with my observations and thing that maybe would have worked a bit differently yet achieving a better outcome. I would ask if they agree or disagree and ask why. Usually there is a common ground and they see the whole picture.

I agree with these asking them why they felt they gave themsleves the higher ratings than you may feel some employees have a false picture of what they should do some just don't always understand necessarily the assessment they had to perform on themselves because of the way the questions were worded.

I agree I don't like to rate myself I like to hear it from someone and if I have to rate myself I usally rate it lower that what the person rated me. I always like feedback on how I am doing and if I am doing something wrong I will figure out ways to improve it. but not every employee feels that way especially if a raise is not involved in the process. Which has been an issue at my current employment. some staff rate themselves and some even say to me I don't know why I am rating myself it is not going to get me more money.

Self-assessment seems like a personal thing anyhow that might open up resentment, as you say, about salary or experience. I'm wondering how it ultimately dovetails with professional forma assessment.

Sign In to comment