Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Delegation without sincerity

I had a supervisor who promised me if she knew how to perform one of my duties, she would teach me. Then she decided to punish me by deliberately feigning ignorance of a task that would have taken 10 minutes to do if she had told me how to do it, and I ended up spending 6 hours on it and never trusting this supervisor again. What did she gain from that?

Sometimes manager can be so busy that they do not take the time to effectively teach their employees rather simple tasks. This can be costly in time and resources. 10 mins would have saved the cost of 6 hours of pay.

I think that when you delegate something you need to follow through with it. It is good to check on the progess throughout the time they are working on it. Maybe at the beginning , mid way through and then at the end.

I agree, as a manager we have the responsibility for assisting in those individuals, who we supervise, to do the job as efficiently as possible. This may require a little hand holding with a new task or retraining of a old one. Evaluation is necessary to access the employee's competence and particular needs. It if far to easy to just have someone "shadow" an more experienced employee and then expect that the training was adequate. We must invest the time to reap the rewards.

Sign In to comment