Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Brian,

I do think plating visuals are extremely important. It is one think to explain plating, but some students do not have a frame of reference if they have never dined at a location where plate presentation is important.

Jae Gruber

I try and teach that you don't always need a garnish on the plate, I believe that a properly thought out plate can be both pleasing to the eye and functional. I also try to have them focus on practical plating as it is something that everyone on the line should be able to do in a timely fashion. If it takes 8 minutes to plate something to put in the pass then something needs to be looked at.

Joseph,

It is extremely important to discuss practical plating as it relates to what the student may be doing on externship and beyond. At the very least, a discussion of high volume production and plating is in order as well as, once again, stressing a sense of urgency. Other helpful disussion matters: the reality of how hot (or cold) the food item will be by the time it reaches the customer and/or, if a particular presentation will reach the customer intact after going from the kitchen to thd dining room.

Jae Gruber

Albert,

I'm sure that is an extremely entertaining and engaging PowerPoint. Truly a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing.

Jae Gruber

I like to show pictures of different plates for the students to critique. So, they understand what a perfect plate looks like and what a bad plate looks like. When they critique the different plates they start to understand what we the chefs are looking at when grading their food. You need to keep it ery specific to the plate.

Kristina ,

When students have the opportunity to looking at and critique numerous plate presentations, rather than just receiving feedback on their own production it gives them multiple opportunities to learn. Showing PowerPoints of pictures as well as implementing group critiques into production classes is a great way to reach out to those visual learners.

Jae Gruber

Pictures, pictures, pictures! I use lots of illustrations. I also talk about what symetry and asymetry means when it comes to plating.

Google Images is a wonderful resource. I start out by discussing height, depth, flow, the number of hand movements used and the proper use of white space. Then after they have heard about it I google "plated entrees" and voila there is a large number of photos , both good and bad, for us to use as examples to discuss. I also use this exercize as yet another example of how easy it is for them to put 10 min a day of professsional into their personal life.

A picture is worth a 1000 words. I show them old plating ( smiley face) and newer techniques from basic to elaborate.

I like to show pictures as well, but I also encourage the students to do diagrams. I ask them to consider the color and shapes of the food and draw it out, then rearrange it and do it again. I also re-inforce the importance of negative space, the rim of the plate, and ask them if they need another color. That prompts them to create something in that color that will compliment not only the visual composition but the flavor, and texture composition as well.

With teaching a Foundations II class, they are learning how to cook veg, starch, and grains. There is not a whole lot of plating, but I start the ground work of hot on a hot plate, cold food on a cold plate. They have to start some where.

Jeremy,

I agree, it the concept of hot/hot and cold/cold is a great area to start. I also encourage Foundations II instructors to start emphasizing portion sizes on vegtables and grains.

Jae Gruber

Gwen,

Indeed, pictures can be extremely helpful. Old plating techniques vs. new techniques is a great subject.

Jae Gruber

I like most instructors like to use pictures and break them down. When it comes to plating I like to break it up into multiple aspects. First nutritional value and balance between protein, starch and vegetable. Then move into the layout, movement/flow, color, height and center of the plate, keeping hot food hot. I also discuss white space on the plate and the importance of not overcrowding. I then like to discuss the plating wheel and how opposite attract and work together. For example I discuss having multiple components on the plate that are opposites. Few examples are fatty/lean, soft/crunchy, sweet/sour. I teach it's all about the experience and yes, the food must look good but also must have multiple dimensions as food of all the same flavor and texture is boring.

Matthew,

I think having the students draw the plate is very helpful. Even if the drawing is not necessarily clear or meaningful to others, it can still help the student visualize the plate in their mind prior to the time of actual plating.

Jae Gruber

I often tell the students that the plate is the canvas and the food is the color and that the students are the individual artists who will create their own masterpieces.

When done demoing the plate-up that the students will be replicating, I have them play around with the extra product to create other ideas for the plate-up. As a class we then discuss what works, is the most visually appealing and what doesn't work. This allows students to not only discuss but feel and see as well.

somyot,

I agree that students need to understand the creative elements of plating. Portion control is a factor that will also be critical in their future success.

Jae Gruber

I use videos of famous Chefs presentation of items on their menus. I also use Contemporary Cuisine examples from Molecular Gastronomy where the plating of the dishes and the Wow factors are paramount. Ultimately I also review the Japanese plating Philosophy as presentation and plating are part of the japanese Culture.

I review a specific rubric explaining and listing the different component needed for platting at the beginning of the class and reinforcing the expectations by demoing examples of what to do and what not to do.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities