Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree, but also important, it may lead to networking and help the student gain employment. What good is the knowledge if you can't put it to practical use.

Students feel a sense of accomplishment and return on investment by participating in Service Learning. Students will finally get to practice all that was learned in classrooms. Nothing builds confidence and a sense of accomplishment than putting theory to practice. Each student will feel they learned something that will help carry them through their new career and that type of accomplishment cannot be valued enough.

Applying the course knowledge to real life situations.

Some major benefits are hands on expereince. Another benefit is gaining people skills/customer service. Benefits include clinical and administrative benefits. A major benefit is reaching out to the community, being a part of the community.

SL would be a great thing to put on resume. It shows a prepective employee of the dedication to community service and giving to the community.

Service learning experience if well articulated in a resume provides a valuable learning experience that will be apealing to prospective employers. Moreso if the service learning experience is related to the job opportunity

Innocent ,

Your point in encouraging our students to put their SL experiences in their resumes is right on point.

Thank you.

Trent Bartholomew

Many of my students have been out of the workplace for many years, have no work experience, or are changing careers. SL affords them the opportunity to list something relevant on their resumes.

Service Learning will help the students to work as a team, help with networking for their future careers. Their interpersonal skills are enhanced.

Students in career colleges really need to be entertained and engaged in order to hold their interest. An engaged student - one that is having fun with learning - will stay in school, graduate, and be successful in a career.

Major benefits include real world experience through a path that may not be well defined as an internship, personal branding mentioned earlier and the ability to work collaboratively with others to accomplish tasks and goals.

The hands on knowledge that they gain is valuable...also networking with the various community providers can lead to job opportunities in the future.

The major benefits include increase of self-worth for the students, ecperience in their field, enhanced career decision and an achievement they can discuss during an interview. This achievement also shows their work ethic and commitment to prospective employers.

I would hope the Student develops more knowledge and interest in their field of study.

They get to practice what they have learned in the clasroom and make it a practical experience that will help them see their career pathway.

I agree with the Student Benefits as outlined in our text in Section Four. One of the more significant benefits that I feel takes place is the personal growth and personal enrichment. Using critical thinking, exploring career pathways, or even personal branding are a benefit, but are not as impactful as the personal growth and enrichment. These are areas that cannot be taught in a classroom, they are experienced. The students become emotionally vetted to the learning process, and in doing so, become the learning process. Giving an “A” is a sterile form of a motivator when compared to the personal rewards of actually being a part of the process and experiencing the human connection behind the theory.

Jackie,

I am in total agreement with you. Thank you for pointing out the benefit of experiential learning, too.

Trent Bartholomew

Service learning participation is beneficial to college students in such a way that it better prepares students for their careers, provides opportunities to connect with professionals, and even allows them to participate in other professional and personal development activities through networking.

It puts the name of the school into the community when tasks that are deemed less than...are performed.

IT GIVES THE STUDENTS AN OPPORTUNITY TO PUT THEIR SKILL SETS LEARNED IN THE CLASSROOM TO USE IN THE REAL WORK WORLD. IT HELPS BUILD CONNECTIONS TO FUTURE JOB PROSPECTS. IT HELPS THEM REALIZE THE VALUE OF THEIR EDUCATION IN A PRACTICAL SENSE...PAUL T. ROUGEMONT

Sign In to comment