Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many students will learn self-confidence by participating in these events. They will also enhance their skill set and learn how to interact with a diverse population. Students will also benefit by seeing how their career relates to the profession and give them an opportunity to network/socialize with other members of their field

Tammara,

Our students do really have a chance to improve their self-confidence when they participate in SL events. Great to see that you tied in the aspect of networking too.

Trent Bartholomew

I totally agree. When student engage in service learning, it instills in them a sense of responsibility.It brings real life experience to them and exposes them to real life challenges.Sometimes, it enables students to find their life mission as a sense of passion is developed to meet a particular need.

There are many benefits that have already been mentioned, but I remember my own education. Both BA and MA required an "observation and participation" class in the area of study; which was a fancy term for service learning.

It gave me an opportunity to see what my choice of occupation was really like early in my program.

For many it gives an early and easy opportunity to change programs when they realize what the occupation really requires or it cements and clarifies their choice.

I recently taught a career success class, where I had the students work on their "elevator pitch". Then the next class I taught the same group of students, and they had a service learning event at a local retirement home. One of my students was ready to go on externship at the conclusion of this class, so I challenged him to use his elevator pitch when he got the chance. As it turns out, he was recently hired by the same company. In my opinion, students really put forth more energy and effort in these service learning events, when they can see themselves working at that location. He was able to market and sell himself, but also show them in person what his soft and hard skills were in person, instead of on an application and resume.

I believe the best benefit was shared in the lecture... the sense of personal branding. The ability to present in a field that they may be a professional in someday and immerse themselves in an area that they will providing services.

Students also get to see what it is like to practice their skills in an applied setting. They learn what it is like to be in an office, healthcare setting, agency or business. In addition to the valuable skill of networking they will be albe to talk about what they have done and learned in real-life settings.

Student who participate in service learning have the opportunity to connect to professionals in the field, see how industry personnel function in a field setting and get a chance to affect their communities. Most importantly students get to apply some of the skills and knowledge they learned in the classroom.

They can learn that going above and beyond is something that connects to the community and also about learning a personal brand of their involvement.

I think one of the most important benefits from service learning is the motivation it provides students to continue with their study and accomplish their goals. Students get confidence and feel that they can succeed in school and in the real world.

What are some benefits that students can get from service learning participation?

• Increase your understanding of the class topic
• Gain hands-on experience (possibly leading to an internship or job later)
• Explore or cement your values and beliefs
• Have opportunities to act on your values and beliefs
• Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Grow your understanding of diverse cultures and communities
• Learn more about social issues and their root causes
• Improve your ability to handle ambiguity and be open to change; become more flexible
• Develop or enhance your skills, especially in the areas of communication, collaboration, and leadership
• Test out your skills, interests, and values in a potential career path, or learn more about a field that interests you
• Connect with professionals and community members who you will learn from
• Grow a professional network of people you might connect with again later for jobs or internships
• Satisfy your urge toward public service or civic participation

Many of the benefits from SL have been identified in the lecture and in the responses in this forum. I believe there becomes an engagement in both the learning process and the chosen career field through SL. The student has the opportunity to use the skills they have obtained through the course material into a real world situation, but they also obtain valuable communication, empathy, critical thinking, and many of the skills as outlined here. By working in the community, students have the opportunity to develop empathy for the living conditions of their fellow members of the community. They have the opportunity to gain appreciation for the many services and lack of services that are available in their career field. They obtain networking skills, but most of all memories that will last a life time.

Some of the benefits that students can get from participating in service learning include confidence and skills development; work experience, which is good for their resume; and the opportunity to discover hidden talents.

Students can learn who they are, what their strengths and weaknesses are when dealing with the public and if they are in the right field of study by participating in service learning. The more they know, the more chance they have to grow, change, adapt, overcome, etc. They can become the person they want to be and work int he field they want to work in or find out they are in the wrong profession before they dedicate a lifetime to the wrong one.

STUDENTS GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO USE THEIR CLASSROOM SKILL TRAINING IN THE REAL WORLD WORK ENVIRONMENT. THEY CAN INCREASE THEIR NETWORK CONNECTIONS AND POSSIBLE JOB GAINS. THEY CAN ACCRUE PERSONAL SATISFACTION SEEING THEIR SKILL SETS WORKING FOR A HIGHER GOOD...PAUL T. ROUGEMONT

What are some benefits that students can get from service learning participation?
They enhance their skills, as well as soft skills which will make them a better employee since they know how to act in a professional setting.their self esteem goes up which makes them a better person and student.

I have also had many students secure jobs and internships.

However, it served another important purpose. I've had several students decide the DIDN'T want to persue a culinary career after participating in a service learning project.

This can be very beneficial to students!

I agree that service learning is the perfect arena to discover strengths and weaknesses. It also presents challenges in different areas of communication - verbal, nonverbal, interpersonal, and academic if they are asked to write papers detailing their experiences and contributions, all of which enrich their potential. It can help students to narrow or broaden their focus towards the job market as well.

Dear Adel ,

Thanks for the insight on the benefit to students when they have to write about their experiences. We found that having students keep a journal on their SL experiencee helped them to see--and to remember--everything they learned from the events.

All my best,

Trent Bartholomew

Having the opportunity to put their skills into practice and gaining confidence in those skills, soft skills in dealing with people they might not normally be in contact with, motivation and excitement in continuing their studies,

Sign In to comment