Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Experiential Learning

How does experiential learning help students to connect relevancy and application to what they are learning?

It is not until the student starts actual hands on experience at the clinical site that they begin to put everything together that they have been studying in class. I can be shown or told what to do many times, but until I actually have hands on experience I cannot do the skills I have been learning in the classroom. Being a clinical instructor I get to see this actually happen with my students as they put it all together with "real" clients in a facility. This is so rewarding to see.

Shirley,

Absolutely! This is another way instructors can see the "lightbulb moment" when it all clicks. The experiential component of clinical learning is vital. Excellent observations!

Dr. James Willis III

In learning situation, when we learn something from a lecture, it is quit different then when we practice it. experiential learning helps our students to visualize the materials in better understanding and productive. This where they can really show their knowledge of what was being taught in the class setting.

Romane,

You are very right! There are many methods to help translate the skills we teach to the experience of actually doing them. You are right to point out that experiential learning helps with that translation.

Dr. James Willis III

It is extremely relevant in that the theory and practice become real and the actual application of the practice. The theory is discussed to reinforce the why of the application as well as reinforcing the skills.

Carlos,

Absolutely! You are very right that students working in the field are able to make the transition from theory to application. This is a very important part of the learning process. Great job!

Dr. James Willis III

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Giving students the opportunity to actually use skills they are learning develops needed skills that cannot be attainned any other way.

Joyce,

Yes, and that is a very good connection! Some of the best pedagogical decisions include having students develop those skills even before an externship. Great job!

Dr. James Willis III

Not only does experiental learning help connect what has been learned to the real world it also helps students (especially adult students) develop a sense of self efficacy which will serve them in future experience.

John,

I think you highlight something very important here; self-efficacy is critical in successful employees. And, as the old saying goes, practice makes perfect, so gaining those skills is incredibly important to building self-aware, self-efficacious employees. Great job!

Dr. James Willis III

It is amazing how much more students can learn out in the field. For me, I teach Surgical Technology, and we can only make the lab somewhat realistic. There are no real patients, no real blood, no real drugs to mix, etc. So having the students go out and complete an internship not only gives them on-the-job training, it sharpens their skills and allows them to apply everything they learned in the classroom and lab setting to the real world. It also heightens their chances of finding a job right after (or even before) graduating.

Krista,

Yes, you are very right that the internship allows students to get real-world experience with things that cannot be simulated in a classroom. There are certainly challenges to this type of learning (and learning curves!), but excellent classroom experience only enhances internships.

Dr. James Willis III

Experiential learning allows students to apply their hands on training and allows one to learn other techniques apart from the textbook or instructors methods. This gives a student flexibility and confidence in a professional setting and re-enforces the importance of professional behavior.

When the student lives the process and experiences the full context of a professional role, they gain an appreciation for the complexities of the professional environment. Many small things that are not taught in class like; corporate politics, matching your mode of dress to the job and the value of good manners, are things that can have a huge impact but are not taught in classrooms, where we focus on theory and technology. The student/intern experiences the "Real World" and gains a much deeper appreciation for the skills being taught in school. Often, they find relevant application of some principles that were previously thought to be a waste of time.

Belinda,

This is very true! Professional behavior is not necessarily something intrinsic, so learning it on the job is often the most effective way.

Dr. James Willis III

LE,

Excellent point; oftentimes these skills cannot be taught in a classroom. You do well to point out how the 'real world' is often different than that of the classroom. Excellent job!

Dr. James Willis III

On the job training is the best way to learn. Taking hands on approaches to subjects students learn in class, helps the student tangibly assess a subject. Learning a technique becomes real when a student actually performs the technique. Often times, the first time something is done there is a fear associated with it. Successfully completing the task during experiential training can help a student be more confident in his skill.

Rachael,

I think you've hit on a good point with 'tangibly assess[ing] a subject.' There's more to it than simply hands-on; you rightly point out the different facets of learning through experience.

Dr. James Willis III

Experiential learning is a great companion to theoretical learning and classroom instruction. Although many students have the opportunity to "experience" learning through application in the classroom, it is the change of environment and expectations an internship provides that brings relevancy to coursework.

Sign In to comment