Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How does an adult learners cultural environment affect learning

What role does a person's personal environment play on their desire to learn?

Trina,

I think the personal environment plays a huge role. If the reason a student wants to learn is rooted in someting personally important, like providing for a family or changing one's life direction away from something destructive, the student will do all he or she can do to learn. If a student does not have learning linked to a deeply rooted goal, the student is less likely to fight through the hard times.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Might be safe to say that a person's cultural environment contributes significantly to the person's decision to reengage in learning. Either seeking a different or better life style, seeking to meet the expectations of someone close or important, or deciding to go in a new direction in opposition to expectations. Culture, whether staying within the "norms" of a particular culture or breaking out of or expanding those norms, does impact significantly upon adult learning.
-CAJE-

Clifton,

What are some ways you leverage cultural expereinces in your instruction?

Jeffrey Schillinger

An instructor's cultural comptence is important to meeting the needs of a diverse group of learners. Many adult learners, especially those in larger demographic areas, have a multitude of ethnic/cultural backgrounds and world views and these should be embraced by the instructor.

In one of our courses, we ask students ( who hail from at least 20 different countries) to make a 20 minute presentation on their country in regard to the topic at hand.

Kassy,

Thanks for this post. What are some of the specific things you do to leverage these experiences to the benefit of other students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I think physical and mental environmental factors definitely affect learning. I can tell when a student does not like where they are sitting or if the room is too hot. I get them to move around and become active in all aspects of the learning.

Brian,

This is not all that different than what pubic schools have discovered about teaching hungry children.

Jeffrey Schillinger

So true! As educators, we have to remain completely open to encouraging cultural influences during the learning process; past experiences are vital to telling that students' story, and give tremendous insight as to how that student will be able to process that information.

I have found that an individual's culture and personal backgrounds affect their learning in multiple ways.

A few years back I had a Native American student in my class. He was very bright, worked hard, and received good grades. He got a grade on an assignment that other students would be very pleased with, but he thought otherwise and wanted to drop out of school. His tribe leader came to see me about the grade and was surprised by the student's reaction. This experience shows how different cultures value education and the high standards set in place.

Other students who come from unfortunate backgrounds, whether they come from another country to start a better life for themselves or they had a troubled childhood, value the privilege of being able to go to school and make the best of the experience while others take it for granted.

Thank you for this thoughtful post, Lonnie. What are some specific areas in which you are required to change your approach depending on the student's background?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment