Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you convince young adults to embrace critical thinking?

I am a teacher at a post secondary automotive training school. I teach a program where the usage of critical thinking skills will help a student advance more rapidly than a student not applying them - which is true for just about anything. What I struggle with is most student's inability to deal in the "grey area" - that is to say that if they are facing a challenge that isn't a simple black or white task/activity, some will either shut down, stating that "this is stupid" rather than thinking and working through the challenge to come up with a positive outcome. Some students demonstrate proficiency in this skill, but not enough to be able to impact other group members in a way to encourage them to try what they witness from their peer. Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

George,
This is a challenge that many of us face in helping our students to become more effective at reflective thinking and problem solving. One of the things I have found to engage my students is the use of case studies. I tie the case studies to income potential so I show them that if they are able to work through and solve this problem their income could be attached to this success. So if they want to continue to do routine tasks that do not require any type of problem solving then this is what their income will be but if they will think through and solve this problem in the car or truck then their value goes up. It works for some students that "get it" and for others it is just not worth effort to think independently. Sad but true yet in many cases they are the students that complain that they cannot seem to get their careers moving forward.
Gary

I believe that the instructor can set the stage for learning in the class room. While the instructor cannot make the come on time or put in prior preparation. The instructor can share their enthusiasm for a subject.
View Thread

ED101 - Forum 2
Re: Fresh start
KENNETH WARD: 10.17.14 02:10:03

hi Heather The first teaching a new course can be challenging. I have found that being as detail as possible and having an abundance of resource material very helpful. By having a good lesson plan it gets me through the times that I inevitably lose my train of though.
View Thread

ED101 - Forum 2
Re: Using a well perpared syllabus
Nilton Castillo: 10.17.14 02:10:03

A well prepared syllabus is the key for a class organization. Students will get everything done.
View Thread

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

To foster critical and analytical thinking it requires that it become a part of the educational environment, not the content of a carefully controlled course. It needs to be part of every course and everyday life in education. It needs to be part of every teacher's repertoire, to be embedded in the discussions held, the questions generated, the tasks set and the rational debates encouraged. You don't teach critical thinking, you cause it through intellectual challenge. Education should get over its obsession with testing and let some courses be open-ended forums for exploration and good old Socratic dialogue.

Steven,
Like your approach. By taking this approach students will be able to expand their abilities as critical and reflective thinkers while increasing their skills as problem solvers. Most careers require a level of problem solving so the more we can offer develop opportunities to gain experience in these areas the better.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach cooking at a culinary school. I have very young students and teaching them to think for themselves is a challenge. They have been told what to do their whole lives. I do help them with small prompting steps in the beginning of the term. By the end of the term they are more able to make decisions for themselves.

Melissa,
The change in your students has to be rewarding as you get to see them transition to being independent learners as they move through the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think that critical thinking has a direct correlation with the students grasp of the subject. If they really understand how something functions, and can see it working in their mind, then I feel that they use critical thinking to better diagnose problems. I think that the students that really want to learn will embrace it on their own. They are interested in the subject.

Often in my role I have students approach me as they work on their labs seeking an easy answer. I ask them first if they have done the research. They of course say they have but as I question I realize they spent 2 minutes looking and just want somebody to give them the answer. I try to guide them by asking them questions that steer them toward the answer rather than answer the question directly.

Daniel,
Like the way you turn it back to them and their need to do further research and reflective thinking on the situation. Problem solving involves more than a google search but unless we redirect our students they will depend on this method and not be able to develop into the problem solvers they want to become.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find that relating the need for critical thinking against something that directly affects the students life can help. It is sort of the WIFM factor. Sometimes the student will need to learn the hard way. Its kind of like skiing on a mountain. Take the more difficult and bumpier trail you make it to the bottom much more quickly. Eventually, you get better with practice.

Sean,
Experience does have way of helping and individual move forward in critical thinking and problem solving. By developing a sound foundation in reflective thinking students start to gain the needed experience and become more capable when it comes to problem solving.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think there is another piece here to the critical thinking beyond the content. I believe it has to do with students believing they can do the work. Carol Dweck's research in this area has been extensive on Growth Mindset. I found in my Remedial Writing class that the biggest issue was not their writing ability but their lack of belief that they could write. They can't get to critical thinking or process writing unless they believe they have a chance to succeed. So I have made a point of praising their "efforts" rather than just their accomplishments. I want them to think critically but realize that the "answer" may not always be correct. As long as they work through the critical thinking process, I believe they have achieved a great deal and will use this process in their continued learning.

Susan,
Your comment is right on target. It is the mind set of the students. They come in to class with the mind set that they cannot do math or they were not good in English. They for the most part do not even give the class a chance. This is when you step in with your passion and enthusiasm and convince them of the value of good communication skills, especially written as in your case. I have taught such classes and when the students start to see the value of the course it makes all the effort worth it. I wish you continued success with all your instructional efforts.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Critical thinking is diminishing in human beings. Technology is eroding the skill. GPS or paper map? Dictionary or Spell check?

The trend will be difficult to reverse. Actually, I don't think it will.

Chris,
You make a very good point. I see this decline in my students as well. Takes a lot of effort for them to develop the self discipline needed to be critical thinkers and problem solvers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I too will also help guide and direct the student when they have a question. Allowing them to come to a logical conclusion not only creates critical thinking but it also enables self education. If the student continues to practice researching and coming to their own conclusions long enough they will have less questions and become more independent.

Teach them the value of good decision making and confidence to rationalize the facts with their knowledge to come up with the best solution. I think young adults in the learning stages of life sometimes are not confident enougth to feel like they can make a judgement call using critical thinking.

Calleen,
You make a good point about the confidence level of many students. They want to make sure they are not put into a position where their answer or proposed solution is not correct. As learners they need to learn how to take risks, make mistakes and then expand their critical thinking skills as a result. When this happens they are going to move closer to being the problem solvers they want to be.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I do not think that the trend will ever be reversed with the dependency on technology in our daily lives. Technology is an addiction, as observed be the amount of students that are challenged with keeping their attention on the classroom and not on handheld devices.

Peter,
I think you are correct so we need to learn how to harness the technology and make it work for us while not letting it take away the human factor in our interactions with others.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment