Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical Thinking Classroom Exercises

I may be teaching a class on critical thinking at some point, and I was just wondering if anyone had any "fun" exercises that I could incorporate into that class. While a major component of that class will be to teach the class about critical thinking, it is very important to have the students involved in the application of what they have learned. Any ideas that you may have are greatly appreciated!

Melissa,
One I use a lot in my Critical Thinking course is to give each group of 3-5 students a bag containing a number of Lego pieces. Each bag contains the same pieces. Then I assign a problem to the groups and have them work on solutions working with the pieces that they were given. This is a fun activity and the variety of solutions is amazing. The point of this activity is to get them to work together, weight options, research and then come up with a solution. Each group then explains their solution in terms of how they put the pieces together. This sets the stage for more indepth critical thinking discussions and expertise development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sir,
I like your idea, can you expand on this exercise? What sort of 'problem' do you assign? I am always looking for good ideas for 'ice-breakers' that are productive in nature. Thanks for any additional insight you can give. john armstrong

John,
The problem I assign is for example is to have each group build a car out of the supplied parts. The car need to be attractive yet functional. I let the members of each group define what attractive and functional means. Then we have a car show and vote to select a winner. Also, I have supplied the students with dominos or a flatten cardboard box. I ask them to design and then construct a house or tower or something that requires them work together and use their critical thinking skills. We vote on and select a winner from these activities as well. The concept is to use what is known as design thinking where you take the different life experiences and backgrounds of members of a group and collectively use this information to come to a solution to a problem. A lot of fun but a very valuable learning experience.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One excercise that I use for critical thinking, especially with regards to subjective and objective thinking, is to give the students images that could be some what controversial. For example, a young person being arrested or a young girl dressed in a provocative halloween costume. I then challenge them to write about the image in first an objective manner and then a subjective manner. This challenges them to remove their personal bias in writing on one hand and allows them to be creative on the other hand. We then discuss their different responses as a class to see how each person dealt with the image.

Tasia,
Thank you for sharing this exercise with us. It is a good one that I know other instructors will enjoy trying with their students. It gives the students different ways of looking at the same situation and then coming up with responses that reflect such.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Two activities that I use are similar in nature:

One is not original, but I supply the same material to several groups, and I set the task that they have to build the tallest palm trees in a set amount of time (15 min). I require them to look at their materials, and discuss their plans, assign roles, and prepare their stations for fifteen minutes before the work time begins as well. -- The groups really seem to enjoy it, and the variety of solutions that I've gotten have been pretty impressive.

I like the lego-car building as an extension of that, or as a way to get using other skills we discuss in my class. I teach a general education course for students going into a field where teamwork is essential, so opportunities to tie in teamwork, critical thinking, problem solving, and the ability to actually do things is always helpful.

The other project I give is that at the end of a teamwork/leadership unit the class works in groups and has to develop a brief commercial, film it, and have it ready to display to the class (either edited together, or in multiple sequential files) with a copy on my classroom PC due a day before we watch them all in class-- The project lasts about 3.5 days since it is project rather than an "activity." The actual criteria are pretty open, and it is so fun watching the groups get together and make the commercial happen. 80% of the time, the submissions exceed the minimum expectations by a longshot and the group loves the day that we share them with one another.

David,
These are two great ideas for getting your students to use their critical thinking and problem solving abilities. Thank you for sharing them with us. I know they will be helpful to other instructors that are looking for ways to help their students develop their thinking abilities. I am sure you have a lot of fun reviewing the commercials and then going over them with your students. This is a powerful way to help students become active thinkers rather than just passive receivers of information.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One of the tasks that we give the students is a set of cards that eqate to a weeks worth of repairs. The students have to arrange them to group together for each day to fill a schedule so that each technician has a full load of work

Andy,
Like this approach because you are asking to them to use their problem solving skills in a real world setting. The more expertise they gain in this area the easier their transition will be into the workplace.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Most of my college students enjoy case stories or scenario's so I have the students work in dyads and one person is the Critical Thinker and the other person is the case study reporter. they come to an agreement through using the 5 wh's to determine if critical thinking was or was not used in their case studies and/or scenario. Most students come away with a new view of how they do or do not think critically when thinking and making decisions about self and others.

Ann Marie,
Thank you for sharing this strategy with us. This approach gives the students experience in how to approach critical thinking and problem solving. They also learn how to work together which is critical for career success. I use case studies a lot in my classes as well and my students love working through them because they get to hear how the cases came out once we have discussed them in class. They like matching their solutions to what actually happened in the case.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

An exercise that I do in class is a "Lost at Sea" by Grahame Knox. He has several team building skills that are fun and gets the entire class involved. I use this to let the class determine who they would like to work with in groups for three weeks.

Stacey,
This is a great one to use. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

We use occasionally the Marshmallow game to encourge critical thinking in planning.
You need per group (3-5):
1 marshmallow, 20 spaghetti, 3 ft of painters tape and 3 ft of a cord as well as a measuring tape.
The task is to build a tower with the marshmallow on top. The team which gets the marshmallow highest wins.

Armin,
Like this exercise. Thanks for sharing it with us. This activity has so many applications that I know many of us will be able to use it with our students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach Special Fx Makeup that is geared toward film and television. Part of our job is to create creatures and characters that are someone elses idea. There are many obstacles and situations to work through during this process. In order to get my students to start pulling apart the pieces of the puzzle so that they can re assemble the puzzle, I show them a creature or character in its completion phase. Then I will give them all of the hardware and materials used to recreate that creature and have them work through the process as a group on how to reconstruct this finished product from the beginning.

KarrieAnn,
This is a supportive way to engage the students and to get them thinking about how they are going to complete their project in this area. This is what problem solving should be about and you are giving them opportunities to develop skills in this process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have enjoyed reading about all of the wonderful activities to build critical thinking. I am going to add a few of the suggestions to my class. I am reminded if the movie Apollo 13. Here is what you have to work with make a square hole fit a round peg without any leaks. What great thinking can accomplish.

Michelle,
Right you are about how reflective thinking can enhance the lives of many and solve problems in the process. This is why we need to help our students to expand their thought processes and seek to find answers as they are presented.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment