Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can guided notes kill spontenuity ?

Im always afraid that guided notes lock an instructor into one path of teaching and takes away the ability to be spontaneous, any one have this problem ?

Franklin,
I set my guided notes up to reflect and highlight the key concepts that will be covered. Under each major point I have space for the students to write in key points of our discussions. This way I have many different opportunities to bring in discussions that are generated by students. At the end of the class I have covered all of the key topics but also have allowed discussion to occur.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If common sense is used, the answer is no. Instructors need to stay on track at all times regarding the the course objectives and learning outcomes and this is how guided notes can benefit both the instructor and the student. While encouraging discussion and questions are essential and activates student participation, it can also throw the focus of the lesson off track, seeing that instruction time is usually limited. Some students can ask all kinds of questions and bring up contravertial issues.

Jeffrey,
Thank you for your good comments concerning the use of guided notes. I use them and have never felt that they stop quality discussions from occurring. There is still plenty of opportunities for such discussions to occur while keeping to the outline and reaching our goals and objectives for the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Not yet - I like the guided notes as an outline; there are times that questions are asked and the thread of discussion deviates a bit, but can always be brought back to the topic at hand. I prefer spontaneity in my lectures, but I have noticed a remarkable improvement in my student notes and test scored since implementing the guided notes.

Holly,
Thank you for sharing how guided notes have benefited your students. These can be a great supportive tool for students as they learn how to learn. Guided notes help them to zero in on the critical concepts that are needed to be learned.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

For me, the notes are only one of many methods of delivering the information. I believe if an instructor uses guided notes exclusively they will create a very mundane learning environment in a short time.

Tim,
I agree they are only one tool among many that an instructor has available.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It seems to me that guided notes are just one tool in your bag of tricks. As we discussed in earlier parts of this class, students have different learning styles. What appeals to some (i.e., guided notes) may not to others who would appreciate a mneumonic or a graphic organizer. To be really effective, I think all we teachers ought to have a number of these tools available at any time.

Wendy,
Right you are. The key is to have a big bag and make sure it is stuffed full with different kinds of tools. The more tools the more options an instructor has to chose from depending on the course content, make up of the students, etc..
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

No, I think guided notes are a great way for the students to read the chapter and not just depend on me to give them the information on a study guide!

I agree, the notes help to keep me on track. Since we only have a certain amount of time to cover a lot of material, if I don't stay on track we all suffer.

Sign In to comment