Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

retaining information

I always try to repeat information/skills multiple times over the length of course, to help with retention

Kirstie,
Review and reinforcement are two powerful learning tools. Use them often and you will achieve good results in your classes.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

My students pick on me about how often I say "reinforcement" but they know how important it is.

Jonathan,
That's OK. Reinforcement is the center of learning and retention. Keep saying it!
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Yes, I do agree review and reinforcements are essential but what about the concept? By understanding the concepts of a procedure or an application, wouldn't the retention and the recall be much quicker?

Mak Nai,
The concept is foundational. Meaning that it needs to be covered and learned first. Then the additional content can be added which is done through review and reinforcement. Without the critical concepts there will be something missing in the educational process.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I find that whenever possible the best way to get student retention is to take a concept and make it an integral part of an assignment or project. I design these so that the students can customize them while still covering the material.

This means that I will get back assignments and projects that take more time for me to evaluate since each will be customized, but I find that this also increases the investment that students make in their work, and this increases retention.

I try to always convey to my students that repition is one of the most effective way of retaining knowledge. I think they are begining to believe me!

Linnie,
Keep up the good work because it is a very effective learning tool. The key is to offer a variety of different repetition opportunities so students remain engaged in the learning process and as a result they will remember the concepts that essential to the field.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment