Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Repetition

I find that it's imparative that the student practices the same technique over and over again to fully understand the concept behind the task that they are given. I shared this in forum 2 already. I share the theory of 10, 100, 1000. If you make something 10 times you begin to understand the basics, make it 100 times and now you can see how all the components comes together, make it 1000 times you have mastered the technique and fully understand the entire concept. Then the process starts over again with a new project.

there is nothing like doing it over and over until you fully understand the proper techinque.
practice is what makes all masters of our craft.

Hi Peter,
This is a concept that escapes many of our students today. In our instant society they want instant success and it doesn't happen that way as we know. They have to invest themselves if they are going to acquire the skills needed and if they don't they don't have them. Just that simple but sometimes hard to grasp.
Gary

I agree. Our students have 3 days a week hands on skills testing. They are evaluated on knowledge, performance and time to complete. In our school repitition is done untill a satisfactory grade is achieved.

Ditto that. We had a long discussion in a curriculum committee meeting about egg cookery and why we are repeating it in two classes. We came to the conclusion that it covers foundational techniques and that even the best students don't always show mastery the first time through.

I prefer the "I do", "We do", "you do" method. When I am teaching my calculations course, I always do examples on the board. Then I have them walk me through problems with my help. Then I send them to do a few problems on their own to see if they are grasping the concept.

Hi Jennifer,
Simple and yet highly effective model. Repetition is critical in areas like yours so you are giving them three opportunities to grasp the concepts and then apply the principles.
Gary

I share the theory of 10, 100, 1000. If you make something 10 times you begin to understand the basics, make it 100 times and now you can see how all the components comes together, make it 1000 times you have mastered the technique and fully understand the entire concept. Then the process starts over again with a new project.

Hi Rejandra,
Good point and example. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Gary

I have not heard it that way I like that. I feel that repetition does help the students to retain the information given to them

I have also used the "I do", "We do", "You do" method with great success. However, I do find that the "You do" method sometime falls a bit short as students usually feel that they understand everything once we are in the "We do" stage. Getting them to practice more on their own in the "You do" stage can be quite challenging. Any suggestions, other than making the assignments worth a portion of their grade?

Hi Attila,
You have a good strategy. A modification of it might be to make a competition of the "We do" stage so there is more application and repetition when you move to the "You do" stage. I create and use a lot of team competitions to get my students to use the material repeatedly.
Gary

Repetition is key for retention, the more we do it the better we get.

I find that repetition is a key when teaching accounting courses. Instead of bombarding with lecture content I try to have the do problems over and over on their own to get that type of repetition to understand the course content.

I teach culinary arts and find that repetition is the key to consistency. With the foundation built the student can get creative with their own twists but the only way to ensure the foundation knowledge is repetition.

The only problem with repetition in our setting is that some things just can't be repeated over and over. Knife skills, yes. A specific advanced culinary technique, maybe twice, then they are moving on. I always review when there is going to be a practical skills test because I know some of them need the reminder. It's in there, they just need to bring it up.

I also use the "I do," "We do," "You do" method but never called it that. It's a great way to keep the students engaged and constantly learning by seeing it, then doing it together, then doing it individually.

The more they do it the better they get. Through repitition the students are more prepaired for their field

I believe you need to say something at least 3 times before students start to understand it. 7 times and above for students with learning difficulties.

Repetition is most the way for students to learn most of the time , although sometimes it can also be an issue with some students that are quick learners , cause they become bored and may become disruptive .

Sign In to comment