Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

repitition is the key

When I teach a new chapter I try to do reviews, give examples and do a pretest before exams.This way the students are exposed more to the material.Unfortunatly some students will still have difficulty retaining the information.What alse could be done to help them?

I encourage the use of a tape recorder in my class as well.

I encourge overhead projector and powerpoint.

Working in a culinary school, I have my students attend skill classes outside their normal class time.
this allows them to repeat the dish that was done in class, gives them another opportunity to improve through repetition.

In my class on Automotive Service Writing, the students are asked to produce a minimum of 5 repairs orders completed in a certain manner. This prepares them for their final exam which requires them to produce a repair order from memory.

Hi Karla,
This is a great idea for reinforcing what they have learned. The more repetition opportunities the greater the skill development and content acquirement there is going to be.
Gary

The more a human does, the more the more the human remembers.

Hi Stan,
Good way to help get the students to emboss this knowledge into their working memories. After 5 repair orders I am sure they have this expertise wired into their minds.
Gary

Hi Brian,
Simple but powerful statement and one we need to remember in our instructional planning.
Gary

Naima, the material that you are presenting must be meaningful to the student. Students will always say "Will this be on the test?" No, I just doing a rehearsal for my next class. Of course this information is important. These concepts are critical to your success in this class.

Chef, I do the same when i am teaching my sauce skills class. Repetition is the key to success if the student keeps repeating the same task with the same results. I still share with my students that cooking is one thing, but to do it with passion takes skill which requires a lot of repetitive practices to build up the skill set to become comfortable with that skill.

We use pretest and post-test in several of our courses along with the use of the program Turning Point that is very effective with students.

They participate and visually see the responses for the entire class.

I agree. When various words, terms, concepts are repeated, students will remember and apply them as needed. Using a review to reinforce the objectives is key to assisting students in the learning process.

I like to cover the same topic on two different days, using a little different approach each time. It works for my class because I have two one hour lectures a week on the same broad topic. I use multiple examples also.

Teaching a class in food safety is always a challenge in terms of biological agents and pathogens. I use crossword puzzles and word bank excercises and finally a surprise quiz (not for grade) to repeat and focus their learning methods.

Hi Karla, I too reccomend skills enhancement for my students, as well as encouraging practice at home!

Repetition is the way for students to learn most of the time , although sometimes it can also be an issue with some students that are quick learner because they become bored and sometimes disruptive .

Hi Adam,
Good point about repetition and the impact it has on learning. One of the fun parts of teaching is to come up with different ways of offering repetition to the students so they don't become bored and go off task.
Gary

Review and practice are critical components in assisting student to learn and remember. This comes as a result of "coaching" and encouragement from the instuctor as well as from committment and self disciplne from the student. The adage that practice makes perfect applies in producing effective learning.

Dennis,
The adage is so true. We need to always remember it as we work with students and set the stage for their success.
Gary

Sign In to comment