Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

mnemonics

To teach students to remember their mother sauce, we use the mnemonic BETHV (Bechamel,Espagnole,Tomato,Hollandaise,Veloute).

Hi Chef,
I like this method. It is simple and effective so the students will be able to recall it once they are out on their own.
Gary

Mnemonics are applicable to many forms of instruction. I provide students with many examples of these shortcuts so they can use them to learn material.

I concur. Here is another good one; BUSSS=Bitter, Umame, Sweet, Salt, Sour (the tastes).

Hi Mark,
I like this. I can use this in my general knowledge since I love to cook and now I have learned something new.
Gary

Don't forget My Dear Aunt Sally! (multiplication, division, addition, subtraction).

I use mnemonics not only in the classroom but in my everyday life!

Hi Sharon,
Good point. I do as well because if I didn't I wouldn't be able to remember half of things I need to.
Gary

Mnemonic is a technique that I use reqularly in class and in my personal life. It makes recalling information simpler

Yes, I use mnemonics for phlebotomy "order of draw" which color tube should be drawn first, it works.

Hi Joan,
Thanks for sharing this example of mnemonics with us.
Gary

Mnemonics are great. I teach Medical Secretaries. They need to know what to do if there is a fire in the building. The mnemonics they learn are the order in which things are to be done and how to operate a fire extinguisher. They are RACE (rescue patients, activate the alarm, confine the fire, extinguish or evacuate) and PASS (pull the pin, aim the hose, squeeze the handle, sweep the nozzle). They always remember these 2 items from class.

Jennifer,
New ones to me but I really like them. I will remember them and I'm not in the medical field. The more of these types of "connectors" we can create for students the higher the retention of content is going to be. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

when studying medicine mnemonics resources used much, now the us in my class to memorize enough to help some things, because I taught anatomy, and really help.

Maikel,
I use them as well and get the same good results as you. Thank you for sharing your success with mnemonics and how other instructors can use them with positive results as well.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment