Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

shared experiences

have found that when they share their experiences they connect the subject matter with their future career choices. If they have had a situation happen to them that is part of our subject matter the information sticks with them.

David,
So true. Stories and examples from the field serve to reinforce the content that is being covered. These examples bring value to the content and help students to see the ROI they are receiving from being in school.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

What I have found is that they mostly want to hear their peer's experiences and connecctions. This often really gets the students interacting.
When I add a personal experience, the class oftne continues w/o listening.

Best wishes, Ms. King

Wynell,
Students really light when stories are told and experiences related. This is what brings value to the course content you are sharing. You are helping them to see why you are teaching what you are teaching and how it applies to their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Dave I could not have said it better myself. I enjoy your class discussions.

In my experience, my students do not continue without listening. They are fascinated by my stories and experiences. However, it appears that they just think they are stories - that those things don't really happen. It is when they get into a clinical rotation with real patients that they say.."Wow... she was telling us the truth." Now, what do I do?" Then the students begin to share their own experiences and the AHH HA moments follow.

Jeanie,
This has been my experience as well. The stories we tell and examples we share are not meant to entertain they are to reinforce a point we are making. You right in that sometimes the students just enjoy the stories and then move on in the course. One of the things I do to help the relate to the stories I share is to have a graduate come back in and talk with them about the use of the course content and application of the concepts shared in the stories. This seems to help many students to make a connection between the stories and the clinical setting.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I definitely agree with this statement. Life experiences are a helpful tool when teaching adults. It helps them relate new information that they have just learned into real life situations. They love this!

Be many years older than the students some times it is hard to relate to them my experiences vs. theirs

I encourage as much personal experience discussions as possible. there are things I learn from these discussions as well.

Sign In to comment