Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learner expectations

While teaching students the same material and having them do the same projects, there is always a difference in how students learn. After demonstrating certain functions to the whole group, I then work one-on-one on certain students who may need that extra push, usually with the same outcome at the end of the term.

It sounds as though you are customizing your instruction to meet individual student needs and maximize their learning potential. It would appear that your method here would go a long way in fulfilling learner expectations.

I really enjoy the open-ended projects that allow the students to put in their own creative flair. I find that they often excell in this format while still meeting the needs of learning the basics.

Hi Patricia,
One of the challenges that instructors face is being able to "customize instructor on a mass production level". This is why instructional planning needs to be ongoing and flexible.
Gary

How do you work with Rubrics in your classes? I find that if I can show students how a rubric scores them, the students can understand the areas they are falling short in and work to improve those areas.

Hi Erin,
Good explanation of rubric use in evaluating student performance. By using rubrics I save a lot of time because when I meet with a student together we can zero right in on the areas that need improvement, develop a strategy for improvement and then move forward with that plan.
Gary

When I do a demostration w/the class there are groups following my instructions. I also go from table to table to make sure they are performing the excersise correctly and that they understand what they are doing.

Hi Bob,
Good way to give input to your students while following up with them at their work stations. This way they see you can focusing on their learning needs.
Gary

I always make sure to let the students know I am available to help them. I frequently ask them if they have any questions and I address issues that students in previous classes may have had with the same material.

I see this all the time and I know even with giving some student extra time or help, some will still need more time and help to understand what it is they are reqiured to do. I can only give them what time I have avilable although I would like to give them more time and help thier are some that just don't seem to try or they want to lean on the old "I just don't learn this way", I have even offered more help to these students and they seem to just want me to give it to them. I cann't do this nor will I, if I did then they would not learn anything that they need to get ahead in life.

I took a class about 6 years ago that really opened my eyes when it comes to teaching. I learnded that even though we give great infomation to all of the students they do learn differeently. After the classed i took (CHE) i found that i need to give writen, vision and vocal directions. i also found that when students work in groups that they sometimes find they can only leard by doing the required task as someone else is doing the same. This is who i learned how to play gutair. when i was in college. only took me 15 years later to fig out why this was the only way i could learn. lol

Hi Christopher,
Good point about learning how individuals learn. It is a constant process for all of who teach. I have been teaching for many years and it seems every time I start a new class I have more knowledge to assist me in my instructional planning.
Gary

I could not agree with you more. It courages participation.

That can be one of the biggest challenges of being a teacher: identifying the different learning styles and find out who's not getting it. this takes effort, as in many cases those having trouble don't want to be singled out. I try to make a point of "democratically" working the room to check on everyone.

Teachers tend to teach in the ways they themselves were taught.

Sign In to comment