Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kinestethic Thinking

I remember when i was working towards my AA degree and too an art class in ceramics and remembered everything that my professor taught us. Taking good notes were helpful but having the opportunity for hands on training was extremely helpful for me as i fall into this catagory of leaners. I often visit my old professor as he has given me an open invitation to come in anytime to get on the wheel and create some artful creations. I share this story because i share the same story to my students that you cannot fully understand the content of the subject matter until you have understood all of the components of creating something from scratch. I tell them that one must keep doing it over and over again to perfect the skills that are required to gain insight on the overall picture. There is always room to grow to become better at something that you already know.

Hi Glenn,
Thank you for sharing this story. It reinforces the impact a teacher can have on a student plus what good teaching is all about. Getting in there and getting you hands on something and making it come alive is critical in the learning process. This is good information for all instructors to have.
Gary

Nice story, and very apt. Of course, sometimes what is more the trick isn't encouraging learning by trial and error...but demonstrating how error isn't a bad thing but a good thing. That it is the error itself that often promotes the greatest learning, if the student really reflects on the "why" of what he does along with the "how" of doing it. Sometimes, today's students find it hard to accept that they can't do everything 100% right the first time. They need to be encouraged to relax in their learning, and understand it is all about growth.

I also share with my students that by making a dish only one time does not make them an expert. I show them one of my vases and share about the imperfections in the piece itself. I share the theory of 10, 100, 1000. If you make something 10 times you begin to understand the basics, make it 100 times and now you can see how all the components comes together, make it 1000 times you have mastered the technique and fully understand the entire concept. Then the process starts over again with a new project.

Hi Glenn,
Good example to share with your students. The key is for maximum success the 1000 times effort has to be put forth. Many students want the 10 times effort with the 1000 times results. There aren't any short cuts on personal effort.
Gary

Yes! I always share with my students that learning is a lifelong process and that every time I practice my craft I learn something new. I also tell them that I learn from not only my instructors and peers, but from students as well. I hope that this helps them stay open to learning from every situation and from every person.

i really share this, i am too a kinestethic learner (as so many chefs are probably are) and i remember tossing a ball while memorizing something or listening to music while reviewing. was surprised buy the association music/kinestethis learning in the slide but it make sense because of the rythmic aspect of it i think.

Hi Herve,
Take those same preferences from your past and make them a part of the study strategies you share with your students. You will find that they will really appreciate these tips to help them learn the material.
Gary

Perhaps while begining students are learning Knife skills, you can drill them on the factual knowledge aspect of culinary arts. Most of my students do tend to be Kinestehic learners. It also may take a bit of the tedium away from all parties envolved....

I find hands on to be very useful in my classroom. Students grasp material and concepts more readily if they can use practical application. I can stand up in front of the class for the entire module lecturing but the real test is when the students have to apply it. I do a lot of role play in my non lab classes to give the students a feel of what is going on. It also makes the time pass faster and the students don't get bored as easily. An extra added bonus for me is that it forces students to keep up with what is going on for fear that they will be called upon to come in front of the class and don't want to be embarrassed if they don't know.

I teach in the medical profession and practical application is very important. The doctors are not going to ask the employees the rational behind what they are doing as long as it is correct. It takes some pressure off of the students and allows them to enjoy the profession they have chosen as opposed to dreading class

Hi Chef I think that repetition is the key to success for the kinestethic learner. The more hands on experience the better

I currently have a student who is constantly asking questions and even sometimes it is the same question just for a different task. She does very well in class but just has no confidence in herself. I finally talked to her about it and I found out that her fear is that she doesn't do things perfectly. I had to explain to her that my expectation is not perfection because you cannot get greatness by doing something one time. My expectation is improvement by learning from your mistakes and understanding what you are doing. I also remind my students to enjoy the process, the main reason why many people choose the culinary field is for the love of cooking.

Hi Mary Jo,
Good example of how to work with a low confidence student. You are providing her with the needed support so she can develop her self confidence to the level she can be successful. If she doesn't she isn't going to be successful in her field and it isn't due to a lack of knowledge.
Gary

Being a chef is mainly kinesthetic. So by working with my students intently and making sure my demos are thorough and detail oriented then I know they will have a better chance at grasping it.

I love the last sentence in your posting, and as teachers we can not forget that point.

I also tell my students simular things. I teach first aid, bloodborne pathogens and CPR and the students get scared about needing to know the material but I tell them not to worry Rome wasn't built in a day. repetition is key in learning the material. Towards the end of the class term a majority of my students can answer my questions even before I get the question out fully because of their understanding of the material.

Sign In to comment