Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

kinestethic

Like a teather in Culinary school I have a lot of options.
Hands on:lecture, power point and of course the most interesting for the student, Demo and practice.

Hi Chef,
Students like variety so in your planning use all of the resources you have available to help your students be engaged and focused on their learning.
Gary

I would imagine that as instructors we gravitate toward the type of instruction we are most comfortable with.

Hi Lynae,
We do and that is why we need to be sure we plan to offer other forms of instructional delivery so we can appeal to the different learning preferences in our courses.
Gary

Hi Lynae, My thoughts are that as instructors we approach our instruction in the manner that we have seen excellent models of effective instruction as we progress through our learning experiences.

That's true. I'm more visual therefore I can't wait to get to my demo, I know most of my students are visual learners because they respond better through demo rather than just lecture.

This is true for me, too. I am also a culinary instructor and find that student learning is very much enhanced by reading before class, lecture of reading, demo of lecture and reading, production of reading, lecture and demo, and assessment of each of these things. In many ways, chefs have it made by accident because of this. :)

Hi April,
Right you are about you all having an edge in instruction. You are combining knowledge acquisition with tactile learning. This is a great combination for student knowledge retention. It is a win win for everyone.
Gary

I always share with my students that learning is a lifelong process and that every time I practice my craft I learn something new. I also tell them that I learn from not only my instructors and peers, but from students as well. I hope that this helps them stay open to learning from every situation and from every person.

Sign In to comment