Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Visual learning

Being a visual learner myself, I find it effective to teach "visually". While doing my software demos, not only do I show the student how to do a particular function, the student also has to demonstrate the knowledge received back to me. This seems to get the student involved in the learning process instead of just sitting and watching.

I find the largest percentage of each of my classes are visual learners. However, I am very aware to incorporate a variety teaching methods to include the preferred learning techniques of all students. I find that visuals provide a good combination for each method.

Hi Patricia,
The integration of the different learning preferences enables students to be able to work in their preferred areas as well as have exposure to the other areas. This builds a foundation for learning that will help them to transfer from the school setting to the work world.
Gary

I agree that visual learners hav e more informaTION to store away for future use..helpers to remind them of their goals..

Hi Charlotte,
What are some strategies you use to reinforce the learning of your students that are visual preference learners?
Thanks.
Gary

Power point is a wonderful tool. I find that it helps reinforce learning.

I am a combo of visual and kinesthetic. I have found that most of my students are also either visual or kinesthetic. However, I do have auditory learners. While I would love to simply teach in the fashion that I like to learn, it simply will not work for those students who learn best through suditory means. As instructors we need to gear our teaching style to reach all students through a variety of means - even if those wasy are not the most comfortable for us.

Yes, powerpoint followed by the immediate application/doing of the topics discussed in the powerpoint can be great...involves different learning styles.

Hi Jennifer,
This balanced approach is a good way to reach the maximum number of students through their learning preferences at any one time. This variety will help to keep them engaged and focused on content while processing the information through their own filters of learning.
Gary

I tend to favor this type of learning as well because it how I learn as well.

Don, I am a visual learner, where I have to see and hear things in order for it to register. The one major draw back with this style I noticed, is when you get into the teaching arena you have a tendency of wanting to use this as the dominant way how you teach.

I make visuals a part of every class including graded projects involving visual creative skills.

Sometime, I feel if students can "see" it, they can understand it quickly.

I was just working with student who was having a problem with math I asked her to draw out a picture and she got it...seeing helps

I agree with using power point for class. Used correctly, that is using it to emphasize the main points of the lesson, it becomes invaluable. I have seen too many people using it for the entire lesson and they lose all meaning at that point.

I find that students understand the content more after i have gave a hands on demo.When i asign reading or give classroom hand outs students have a hard getting the concept but when i take them to the lab it all the sudden the content shows up.

It is absolutely true that we lean into teaching based on our preferences for learning. I teach culinary classes and most of my students are both visual and kinesthetic learners. They perform much better when we demo a recipe instead of just discussing it. However the reality if that in these classes we also depend from being an auditory learner to absorb the procedures discussed while watching a demo that they will need to repeat by themselves.

So, I have found that in order to reach to all students it is important that I slow down when I am switching from one approach to another even though I am still in the same topic to allow the students to figure out a way to comprehend the material discussed.

I am a visual learner and I also understand the other types of learning styles. I feel that giving demos about the software is good because it show the student that you know how to use it but at the same time it gives you a chance to show them some other type a little trick that will get there attention and get them excited on what the software can do.

Visual learning is a great way to help the students retain information. Power points are another way as well as hands on.

I agree 100%. As an instructor of Culinary Arts I find that my students are very hands on people. In tern the demonstrations paired with visual comparisons and explanations help them to grasp the concepts being presented.

Sign In to comment