Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Raymond,
I understand your comment. My students often have the same problem this is why I use repetition as one of my main teaching tools. I have students role play, make posters, recite out loud and the apply the information I have given them. These multiple repetition methods really do work because we get the message branded into their brain.
Gary

I have seen that some students get distracted from time to time or home sick if you will.
and it does not matter if you have had that student before there is not much you can do. I also have noticed this more so during Christmas Holidays. I can only say that with the students they seem to want to blame the instructor rather than themselves. I have even tryed one on one with them are gotten other instructors to try and help them but the biggist thing to do is find out what is going on in thier life at that time. then you may be able to find a way to get them to understand the instruction that is being given.

Hi Charles,
You make a good point about working with certain students that want to blame shift to anyone but themselves. You are doing a good job of trying to engage them. I know I am always disappointed when I can get a student to see the value of coming to school and helping create a future. I do my best and then I concentrate on the ways I can help them and I know I am doing all that I can so if they chose to not be successful that is their choice.
Gary

I have had similar results on some things I teach in class(cam degree for example).When this subject is outlined,we do a demonstration,provide step by step notes,perform one on one instruction with the students,and allow 2 extra days for the students to master the task using a training aids in class.When it is time to test about 50% still struggle with it.Not sure what else to do to make sure they get it

Agree with you or some only believe by experience it , it's sad, usually prevention avoid catastrophy and some like to learn the hard way.

All students have different ways in which they would like to learn,but in a class of several, you can't just single one type out. There isn't a lot of time, so making a combination of learning styles works well for me. Foe example, I start with handouts, then we go over the handouts, then I lecture again on the handouts,and finally, when applicable, an interesting movie is shown to bring it all together.If no movie applies to what we have learned, they have workbooks that they are to do, and then we go over those in class as a whole to tie it all together.

SOMETIMES NOT UNDERSTANDING THE MULTIPLE LEARNING LEVELS ALLOWS US TO NOT REACH THE FULL AMOUNT OF LEARNIG ABILITY OF OUR STUDENTS BECAUSE WE DONT TAP[ ALL OF THIER RESOURCES

Hi Kim,
Right you are about need to expand our delivery to include more of the learning preference areas. What are some methods that you use to do such? Thanks for any tips you can share with us.
Gary

I find that students understand the content more after i have gave a hands on demo.

Hi Peter,
I do to. The process of internalizing the new content is reinforced through the application and that greatly increased the retention factor.
Gary

Agreed. The hands - on experience has to take place shortly after the lesson or the value of the lesson can be lost.

Sign In to comment