Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

So was I. I hope that I can get a better understading. please let me know more.

Hi Sandra,
A student that has a preference for written word learning sees text in the form of images in their mind. They translate from words to application. It is a part of their decoding process when taking in new information. Once in their minds they then recode the information back into meaningful content ready for application.
Gary

I have heard that the written word is actually auditory rather than visual...even though it is "words on a page" the brain quickly interprets the visual into words and sends it through the auditory channel. Is there any truth to this?

Hi Jane,
I can't confirm that that is what happens as the brain translates the information it is receiving. This is based upon the medical research I have reviewed. In my own research over the past 35 years in cognitive processing I have found that certain students do separate the content between verbal, auditory and printed so they are able to work in all three areas though they have a preference to use one over the other.
I have found over the years that the more I know about learning the less I know about how the brain works. For a 3 lb chuck of gray matter is a complicated unit to say the least.
Gary

I am definetely a visual learner. I know from experience just seeing the written work is not enough for me to know it. If I can see the words in some kind of chart (picture) then I can begin to make more sense of it. Since I am a visual learner I have struggled with using all the other learning methods in my classroom for those that are not (though in my subject matter of Digital Media Production) I have found that most of my students are also visual learners - but, of course, not everyone.

In my field, we utilize all aspects of learning, so there is something for everyone. What they don't process through powerpoint, they can supplement through hands on, or visual learning, since we supply plenty of pictures, graphs, and diagrams. Whoever came up with this system is spot on!

I work as a clinical instructor and I have students that will draw a picture of a ventilator as I demonstate it's use. I'm sure it works for this student because of there quiz results. Once I identified with the visual learner I take to clinicals a white board with marker and physically write information for my students to indentify with subject.

Hi Farrell,
This is a great way to help your students visualize what they are being taught. They are using cognitive, visual, and tactile skills in an integrated way that will help them retain the needed knowledge.
Gary

Agreed. We use many different applications and are quite successful

Sign In to comment