Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Process

I have been teaching for over 6 years now and I totally have a different outlook of the learning process. The process of understanding learning and different concepts such as memory is significant and plays a vital role.

Sabrina,
Glad to hear how you have expanded your understanding of how individuals learn and how you can plan your instructional delivery to target the different ways and keep your students engaged throughout the course. I wish you continued teaching success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sabrina,
I too have been teaching for over 6 years and agree that the process of understanding learning and different concepts is significant in each students memory and learning styles, I have found that not all students are alike and although their is a planned curriculum it can always be adjusted to the learning to benefit the student.

One of the schools I work for is especially interested in group learning. We have tended to build the groups around common experiences. But based on this course and the discussions I am reading, I will recommend that next semester we try building some our groups for group projects according to self-described learning styles. I expect this will pay us some unanticipated dividends.

David,
It will be interesting to see the results you get with this new format. Group dynamics need to be managed carefully if each individual is to get what is needed from the group assignment. I use groups a lot in my teaching format and find that the results achieved are very beneficial because the majority of workers will find themselves in groups settings once out in the work world and they need to learn how to work with others.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

i wonder if 'learning styles' can be taught. I have taught alot overseas and some cultures emphasize rote learning and many of the students have incredible abilities to memorize info. What are your thoughts on this?

Joseph,
Individuals have preferences for how they learn but they can learn via other delivery forms as well. In fact I have my students work in multiple venues because in the workplace they do not always get to choose the medium through which they will take in new information.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Yes. Dr. Meers! That is why it is essential to vary the delivery methods not only in classroom, but in the workplace (ie: verbal, written, visual and auditory.)

I teach a more hands on approach to learning. With the group that I work with, they are predominately visual and hands on learners. We use a lecture component, with hands on demonstration as they follow written instructions. I also allow my students to video tape my demonstrations, so they can go back and view them later.

Kristen,
Right you are because information comes to us in so many different ways in so many different settings.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jennifer,
The more connections you can make between the content and application the better. This way your students will have the cognitive base upon which to build the tactile skills leading to a well prepared professional.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I honestly think that most students have a set way in which they learn and retain info. You can probably show them a diffrent way to look at thinks, but I don't know that one certain teaching style can be taught.

Johan,
There are a variety of ways that students take in information. Yes, they may have their preferences for learning but we need to offer instruction in a variety of ways because out in the workplace they are going to be asked to work in different venues in terms of communication and learning. They are going to have to know how to acquire information in these different formats.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment