Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

video

I am Chef instructor for a Culinary school at Orlando fl.
I enjoyed the video, students like to raise hand and ask questions and comment (too much at the same time,they are very concerned by the topic.

I utilize a combination of teaching methods geared towards increasing student interest and retention. I use powerpoint presentations to allow for visual learning. Presentations concentrate more on images than text. I raise a series of questions whidh I ask the students in the process of my lectures to facillitate their participation

I also stimulate discussions between groups of students.

Hi Samuel,
You are offering many different ways for your students to take in information and I commend you for this. You are helping your students to be effective learners.
Gary

I didn't relate to the video very well because I teach only online. One of my classes does have a Live component, few students ask questions. Though I have had the problem identified in the video where I missed a question, then caught it and it does take the discussion back. However, in most cases I feel it was good to go back because the question asked clarified concepts for all the students and in some cases prompted more questions.

I teach project management which can be a complicated topic for some business majors.

Hi Kay,
Good point about the challenges of teaching online. I teach some of my courses online as well and I have had the same experiences as have you. We have to work hard to keep the students communicating with us because it is easy for them to withdraw.
Your course topic is one that I can appreciate about how complex it must be to teach such content online. What is the most effective strategies you have found to engage students based upon this content?
Thanks for your input on this.
Gary

I also bring in many methods to introduce and review information. I find that life experience both my own and those of my students willing to share,create an increase in understanding. I didn't, however, think about the questioning by students and the fact that the timing of calling on students in relation to where I am in a presentation can set the discussion back or create a situation where the student stops listening. It was a worthwhile and helpful video.

Sign In to comment