Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I also see the difference between my morning session and afternoon session students. Generally, though, my easier class to work with is the morning session, as I find the students more motivated to learn.

Hi Stan,
It is interesting isn't it how the time of day impacts the students and their investment in the course. I teach from 4 until 10 and my students are tired from working all day but they are zeroed in on the course because they are there to change their lives and pursue their career objectives. They know what they want and are willing to work to get it. They are a pleasure to teach.
Gary

YES, the instructor must be like the primary school teacher, when children come in the class in the morning, they are all excited to tell the teacher what went on the night before. the instructor must figure out a method, to bring them into the learning process, by allowing the events of the day to sometime be the platform to bring their reality into the classroom.

Although I have had both types of students at night, I believe that games focuing on the lecture at the end of the evening helps. I would like to learn more short instant reward games.

Hi Joan,
There are several formats you can use for review games. I break students up into teams and have them do a version of Family Feud. They really like this due to the competition. The questions are set up for them to eliminate answers so they get to review a lot of content in short order and select the most appropriate answer. This game can take as little or as much time as you want but it does send the students off at the end of the class thinking about a lot information since they will have just used it in answering questions.
Gary

I do agree that night or evening classes are better because I believe they are more focused on their carriers and understand the information is important to their success.

Hi David,
This has been my experience as well. You get to plan your instruction is a different way when you have a student demographic like this.
Gary

I agree with your assessment, my students are sometimes like animals when they first arrive at 6pm. They ALL have worked throughout the day at various jobs ranging from a car wash to a doctors office. And even the drive to school doesn't settle them down. Most forget to eat before they get to class, so at our first break after 50 min, it is hard to get them back to the classroom on time. Many will take a 15-20 min break instead of the 10 min allowed. I have to begin without them and when they finally get back to class they are disruptive. Even writting them up and having them go to the DON hasn't helped, what do you suggest, HELP!!

Hi Holly,
You do have a tough situation. I'm not sure I have any suggestions since you do not have the support of your college. Your administration has to back you up on running an orderly class. If they don't you are left without many strategies beyond the ones you have already tried. Is there a way of starting the class a little later, like 30 minutes? If so then the students could grab a bite to eat and start the class. One of my classes starts at 7:00 pm for that reason. We run later but they do come in with full tummies and on time.
Gary

Hi Deborah,

I agree with your assessment. I have never taught evening classes. However, I did my BSN & MSM in the evening. Yes, it is difficult to hold some students attention and keep them focused; because they usually have long hours at work all day and other issues that they are dealing with.

By the time they come to class, they are so wrapped up in the events of the day, it is extremely hard to stay focused. This makes the Instructor's job much more challenging.

I have found it much easier to teach night students. They are usually older, more responsable people with day jobs and families. I know this is a broad assumption, but i find it true more times than not.

Sign In to comment