Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gary,
Glad this information was helpful to you as you plan your instructional delivery. Knowing that these filters are being used helps as you reinforce your content and help students make applications.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also teach composition and have had the same experiences when it comes to assignments. In my speech course, I encourage the students to choose topics that they have some familiarity with.
when I explain that this also helps with their apprehension while speaking they seem to understand the importance. As an English teacher, I have always tried to get them to transfer the grammar drill/instruction to their writing. I am still working on that.

Debbie,
It is a challenge for sure. Many students as you know don't see the value of composition (effective communication). Yet clear communication both written and oral is what promotes career development. You are on the right track with your approach. I teach a required gen ed course as well so I can appreciate your situation. My students do not want to be in the course and it is my job to convince them that what I am teaching has value to them. Tough sell for sure.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students cannot learn if they cannot relate to the subject or experiences. I use life experiences or references to popular culture, TV, movies, etc., to assist and drive the point home.

Fordham,
Making connections for students is critical. You are right about them not being able to see the value of the course if they cannot connect to it. Sharing stories from the field and popular cultural references help them to see why the content is being taught and how it will help with their career development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The key to classroom connectivity is the ability to be flexible in your approach. We only know how we learn and then try to replicate that in the classroom based on our experiential pool. However, in identifying the way others learn we can have a greater impact. Whether it is tactile, auditory, or visual, the idea is to include all learning styles I n an effort to maximize the learning environment. When I teach culture studies I include food, movies, discussions, and lecture in an effort to show a bit about each abstract concept we face.

For me understanding the basics of learning is an essential part of our everyday experience with the students. It will help in retention not only of concepts but of the students themselves in my opinion. I would adapt my strategy to be more feedback based for the students and incorporate more opportunities for students to make sense of the concepts in their own lives, whether that is through project based learning, flipping the classroom, or using other methods, knowing how the brain functions is like getting a peak into what will help the students be successful.

Understanding the different stages of learning would give be a general idea of what students are capable of depending on their age. Then I would consider how to break down information into smaller bites that they could digest and avoid the "drinking from a firehose" problem. Making the info relevant to them and helping them see it's importance and usefulness would go a long way in assisting them to retain the info and not filter it out.

The realization that you have in front of you 20 adults with different priorities, varying learning styles, and depending on their day different filters operating makes one wonder how anyone learns anything!

The realization can help create an awareness in me that sometimes vacates (because of the routine or whatever). Sometimes just being aware can help create focus.

It would help in the delivery of information. Help the student generalize the information and project themselves. Using that to set the stage for the content and create engagement.

Scott,
Yes, it would and this is a good example of how to adapt to the learning needs of students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As an instructor to both Dental and Medical Assisting students, understanding the basics of learning will definitely continue to shape my mind and teaching methods in helping my students to learn the material presented to them on the Course syllabus for the Quarter. As an example, I like to incorporate "WORDS OF THE DAY" for Key Terms such as alginate or pharmocokinetics that are presented at the beginning of the Chapter. To some students, it is exciting to learn how to spell and pronounce new terms that they can use in the future. Other students, learning how to properly mix the alginate for impressions or understand the mechanisms of the action of the medications that they will one day dispense to their patients is new and exciting. In each of the situations, the students are engaged in learning.

Fernanda,
Your last sentence put this concept together in a great way. They need to see how the parts become the whole through the words they learn, content they student and skills they develop. This is what engaged learning should be about.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As an instructor to both Dental and Medical Assisting students, it will definitely continue to shape my mind and teaching methods in helping my students to learn the material presented to them on the syllabus for the Quarter. I like to incorporate "WORDS OF THE DAY" for Key Terms that are presented at the beginning of chapter such as "alginate" or "pharmacokinetics". To some students, it is exciting to learn how to pronounce and spell new terms that they can use on their externship sites. To other students, learning how to properly mix the alginate for impressions or understanding the mechanism of the drug actions on the body when they dispense medications to their patients. In all of the situations, the students are engaged in learning.

I will adapt more hands on projects that are not just step by step instructions. I want them to be thinking on their own instead!

Susan,
This is a good process to start with your students. They are going to have to do it once they are out in the field so the more we can help them to develop such skill now the better prepared they will be for career success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In a blended learning situation, knowing the basic ways of learning can help you to decide which way to approach the different students in you class and adapt to the ways they learn. It take more work as an instructor, but, the result outweighs the additional work by far.

QUINTIN,
I agree because the students are going to more involved and motivated as a result of this method of content sharing.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In learning situations, knowing the different ways of learning will allow you to develop your teaching style to fit the situations. In career schools, I tend to have many different styles of students learning. It will help me find the ways to teach those that may not grasp a concept I taught first.

Understanding the basics of learning benefits the instructor by providing a framework to reaching and meeting the students. In my classroom, one of the students volunteered that she takes nitro for chest pains. I prompt her with questions including showing her vial of medication. The students applied the knowledge to a person they shared this class and other classes.

Sign In to comment