Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning/Communication style and interaction with other people

How does Learning/Communication Style of a co-worker affect how you interact with them?

Learning a co-worker's communication style allows you to: give effective praise that demonstrates sincerity and generates motivation and enthusiasm; be better able to deliver criticism without creating confrontation and conflict, which results in conducting, for example, effective performance review sessions; make apologies that are heartfelt and convincing; be able to ask effective questions in order to probe for facts and provoke ideas; argue without offending, thereby communicating to resolve conflict and reach agreement; and communicate in order to build rapport and create trust.

I find that if I know how a co-worker is going to respond to a request I have before I speak with them I will change my approach to their style. I understand now that a co-workers learning/communication style affects the way they process information and requests. Knowing this in the future I will try to be more aware and take notes how different people respond to different ways information is presented. This is especially important when conducting a class and or giving a presentation. I find that if I am teaching a class or giving a presentation to a group and they are not getting it (which you can tell though body language or questions) I will change my approach which shows how it is important to understand and be able to change your communication technique to accommodate different learning/communication styles.

This is a great approach, Michael! It sounds like you do your best to get a sense of others communication styles and preferences and adapt accordingly. I'm willing to bet that your colleagues and students appreciate your sensitivity and respond in a positive way. Keep up the good work!

If you are aware of the learning or communication style of the person you are dealing with and can adapt your approach accordingly, you will have a meaningful interaction and reduce uncertainty with your comments. When conducting a review for example, if you know someone is a visual learner, it might be effective to use a chart to identify how they measure up compared to the expectation of the team. Talking through a review may leave the employee feeling lost. By taking some time to adapt to the learning style of the person, the review may be received and understood more clearly.

Wonderful awareness, Christine. Having the abikitybto adapt your communication style to another persons can be quite effective in ensuring the correct message is conveyed. I particularly love your example! It sounds like this is something that you try to do in your communication with others. How do you find it works for you?

I find myself reverting back to my days as a faculty member trying to understand each of my reports personalities and learning styles. I realize there are some faculty I instinctively guide or direct them though my actions and movements, whereas other I want to draw a schematic or picture to get my point across. Past experience with each is a valuable resource when trying to help them accomplish their goals or assess their product

Excellent awareness, Donald. It's wonderful to see that you use what you have learned from past interactions to customize how you communicate with your faculty members to their preferred style! I'm guessing that when you choose to use what you know about the person you are communicating with, the message is received in a clear manner. Keep up the good work.

I have an employee that is very emotional. Any critiques become an issue. I have found that if I don't "critique" but explore what is being done right, I get more positive results.

Roger, this is a great point. It sounds like you are looking at your employees individually and having conversations with them based on their communication preferences.

Dr. Jean Norris

Communication style of team members is very important on how you react to them. I also have to step back and really listen to the communicator in order to really understand how to reply to them. I also find myself having the employee paraphrase what I have stated, so it is not misunderstood or misinterpreted. I know with some employees I need to take the extra time to communicate with them because that is their style and some employees like communication to be direct and to the point.

Having employees paraphrase what you have said is a very powerful communication tool. How do you identify those employees that need that extra time to communicate?

This course has been a real eye-opener for me. I have realized that without considering how a colleague learns or communicates that I am sub-consciously thinking they're acting in a certain way when in-fact it may just be attributed to their learning. For instance, a colleague of mine is always needing time frames and often puts off tasks to the last minute. I have always attributed this to thinking she is just not interested in the task or does not want to complete it so waits until the last minute to complete it. I realize now that this was ignorant on my behalf. After going through this course I have realized that maybe that is just her way of doing things and her way of processing information. Maybe she is a visual learner and needs to write down dates and maybe she is writing all her tasks in a calendar which helps keep her organized.

In turn, realizing this has helped me to communicate more effectively with her. I also know now that when I communicate with her and she asks me for a deadline one of the best things I can do is give her two options (both that I am happy with) and have her choose. This provides us both with flexibility and I am happy with either choice (since I'm the one that has provided both of them).

Excellent awareness Fiona! When we understand learning and communication styles it allows us to consider new options for the manner in which we communicate. Thank you for the examples of what you will do differently in the future and thank you for your post!

To effectively convey your instructions you have to give them instructions in the format that they can receive. For example if they are auditory learners you need to not just hand them a memo. Read it to them or give them verbal instructions.

Suzanne,
Excellent awareness! It is so important to be aware of others styles. Thank you for sharing in the forum.

Dr. Jean Norris

Understanding how a co-worker learns, communicates and even manages their own responsibilities has helped me evolve at my organization. In my role I have to interact with pretty much everyone due to my responsibilities and if I want to meet my deadlines I had to learn how everyone else ticks. I’ve learned who I can easily get a last minute request from and who on the other hand would need a timeframe.
I also make a point in my compliance presentations to incorporate the different learning styles when I am presenting important but sometimes boring information. My co-workers with different learning styles are good at not only providing me feedback but that are also ensuring me that they get it!

Pamela, It's great that you have taken the time to identify the needs and capabilities of your co-workers/employees. It sounds like you really value a great working environment and have created that. Keep up the good work!
Dr. Jean Norris

I have a team of 5 employees and I have learned that they all learn differently. Some I can simply send an email and I know that the work will get done. Others I have to send step by step instructions with pictures marking how I want something done and then I have others that I have to sit down with them and show them the process and have them do it themselves. Everyone responds to the information differently and its my job to make sure that I am relaying the message to suit everyone's learning style.

guadalupe, Great awareness! It sounds like you care greatly about your staff. Have you found your staff is responding positively to your communication styles?
Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment