Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Challenge of getting students to complete work before last day.

One of my biggest struggles is getting students to complete their work before the last day in the last few hours.  I encourage then to plan out the week to have the work completed early in case there is some sort of issues with the internet, sites, etc but I am still seeing more and more students submitting their assignments at the very last minute. 

I totally agree with you. Getting students to do any work a head of time is hard. You might want to send out a tweet or post an online question asking them what would motivate them to do their work early. I stuggle when I take a course that won't let me turn things in early. I like to get it out of the way because I have a busy life.

@brarya0103  The thing I find most effective is immediate response in grading.  I grade papers and assignments as they come in.  For discussion boards I take off points if the postings are all on the same date, if they don't meet the early posting criteria set up for mid-week and if they don't address their fellow classmates by name when responding.

I agree with the issue of getting students to submit work before zero hour. I thougth about giving additional points to get them to submit the work earily. I also send out reminder emails on a daily bais, however it is time cosuming.

@brarya0103- I agree with you Ryan.  I try everything- constant email and post reminder's, calendar dates and reminders, etc.  I think that many online students tend to wait until the last minute.  I proovide my students with somewhat of a reward for submissions prior to the evening due- if they post, complete an assignment before the due day, I will give them feedback and allow them to correct mistakes, etc. to help improve their grades.  Many of my students take advantage of this offer (not all, but many :)

@billiejomatelevichhoangde

I like your idea, Billiejo. How about splitting assignments into small pieces and having them due a little at a time?

I too have issues with students posting late for many assignments. I have found out over the years that beginning students tend to think that they may post at any time before, during and after the due. I actually had a student not to long ago ask what the "drop-dead" due day was. Of course I replied the actual due date  is the due date. I then further explianed that due dates are not loose goals. The main issue with late work  is that lack of quailty and missing information.

Sign In to comment