Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Screen-O-Matic

Another technology tool that I find easy to use and keeps a log of your previous recordings is Screen-O-Matic at http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/. I use it as a means of motivating students and clarifying select and key points when necessary. I find weekly encouragements using video to be more personal and better received.

I prefer Screen-O-Cast to Jing because it is super simple. There is nothing to download, the tool captures whatever is shown on your screen and verbals captured through the computer's mic, you can create video that allows for student comments, and password protect content.

To store more than one video at a time, unfortunately, you will be required to pay $15 a year. However, I find this to be a small amount compared to the big benefits of using such a tool.

I find Screen-O-Matic to be easier to use than many of the features inside of the LMS systems.

Compare the Screen-O-Matic tool to other screen capture tools, such as Jing, and let me know what you think. If you have other suggestions, please share them with me. I am always trying to improve on processes.

Samantha,

Thank you for sharing screen-o-matic! I will definitely try it out. I have used other captures that tend to be more university type technology such as Tegrity. I have also used camtasia and captivate oh and Breeze (Adobe Connect). The costs varies.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

My school offers a very robust VC therefore most of my lectures are live however this program seems that it could also be great for students if incorporated into an assignment. Thank you for sharing this technology and I’m going to give it a try.

Kimberly,

I have my students to record their training presentations. They have to figure out how they are going to "record" it. It does make them nervous but it is problem solving.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Another instructor told me about Jing several years ago, but I had not heard about screen-o-matic. Thanks for the tip. I would like to be able to do short tutorials for the software classes that I teach so maybe the $15 a year would be a good investment if I could use the same tutorial for future classes (as long as the software version does not change).

Frances,

I like Jing as well that may be because it is free. There are several other types of software that can work in thsi way. I will also check on screen-o-matic.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Here's an audio file that I made:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s14qBPmhCIgd

THis was made with a great little tool called vocaroo. It's another really nice little number that helps us to convey inflection and the like in our posts and responses to students. But it's much faster than Screencast or Jing. I highly recommend it.

Both are superb little tools. And you can use both free, or pay a minimum fee for additional services.

Garry,

Thank you for sharing a new app. That always helps. You are right, those little video vignettes are so powerful.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Garry,

True, and you may want to talk with someone at your university to see if they have a tool. We have a couple of tools that can be used in that manner, the problem is no one knows about it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment