Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Types of Questions to Ask in the Classroom | Origin: ED114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Types of Questions to Ask in the Classroom --> Questioning in the Classroom

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Open style question are by far the best style of questions. Be sure when asking them that you consider the comprehension of the student as well as the material. You need to make sure the student has the abitlity to answer the question correctly.

Richard Ullery

Most of the MET I have participated during the last 2 years have been carried out in Eastern Europe - former USSR countries-. It is my perception that, as a kind of common pattern to the majority of the students, is that they have some reluctancy to answer  open questions. To my understanding, they seem to be more comfortable to cope with the closed ones.

Have you experienced any techniques or tools which might help the students to overcome this way of approaching to the classes and to feel more comfortable when expressing their opinions and thinking process?

NOTE: This is specially remarkable when there are senior officers attending the classes. 

This module has provided good insight into the most common types of questions used in the classroom versus the most effective types of questions.  After viewing this  module, I am more aware of the need to use open questions to better promote student learning.

This module has provided good insight into the most common types of questions used in the classroom versus the most effective types of questions.  After viewing this  module, I am more aware of the need to use open questions to better promote student learning.

they different types of questions and when to leverage then in the classroom lecture 

I liked that this module broke down comprehension questions into the four categories. Its important to distinguish when a student is memorizing a concept versus applying it to a scenario, and that's vital to CTE. I'll be working to reword the questions I ask my students, especially the procedural ones!

It was common sense.  Thanks

I like open ended questions because they help the students engage in the subject material. Application and extrapolation helps them develop their critical thinking skills.

I need to work on my questioning of students. I believe I do ask a lot of closed questions but Need to follow up more with "why"

Try to ask more open questions to test knowledge of the subject.

THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING SUBJECT TO ME. I'M LEARNING SO MUCH.

The most common types of questions used in the classroom and the most effective types of questions was a great comparison. I feel that I am now more aware of the types of questions that are needed to create an environment for better student learning. Realizing the difference in how the question is asked will help guide the classroom in a more productive manner.

I believe I am asking the wrong questions! I wil definitely work on my questions!

This has hekpd me better approach the area of questioning students. I know the type of Open Questions to ask.

Increasing the open questions in the classroom will yeild better results and learning with the students.  I also have to stay focused on the types of questions being asked infront of the student to promote their growth and understanding

I tend to ask a large majority of questions in my lessons. What I see is that the open questions confuse them. Almost as if they do not know how to emphasize on their answer. I ask the open ended questions so they can give as much information with their answers as possible.

Myself,

I always liked the open ended questioning technique cause it keeps the class away from answering the question with a yes or no answer.

It also allows the student to put the answer in his or her words.

asking questions inside the classroom, allows you as an instructor to monitor the understanding and the progress of your students and also to increase their engagement in the class But without managing these questions timing and planning you can lose your track. I was taught by my professor to have a session plan well organized before you enter the classroom. I also prefer rewarding the students by simple gifts if they answer correctly by doing a sample of questions on a special application. we as instructor need both types of questions as mentioned in this module with more open questions as this make the students comfortable in expressing themselves clearly

I m actually enjoying this course  

Giving the students more time to process a question especially for the slower learners is a technique I am going to incorporate into my classroom, as well as re-wording the way I ask procedural questions so I do not make any student feel dumb or intimidated. This course eye-opening.

Sign In to comment