Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Breaking the ice.

The first day is the time to set the scene for learning.Let the student know that instructor's are there for them and not against them.Be firm in a positive way.

I think making the students feel comfortable in the environment is the best way to break the ice.
Most are strangers to each other and many have not been in this type of setting before.

Making sure they know who you are and where they need to go for answers to questions is very important. Feeling lost is not a good thing.

In a long course with interacting students, introducing students to each other is a good way to make them feel comfortable and welcome.

There are many introduction game you can play.
Name games that are easy, fun and involve both students and instructors.

After they are made to feel welcome and are more comfortable in their surroundings, then they are able to concenrate on the sylbus information.
Marie

That has worked for me at times and at others it has worked against me... they feel like you are their friend... just a thought

Smile and have fun on the first meeting of the students.

I like the name game. It has worked for me a lot.

I always greet my students with a smile and try to interact with them a little bit before the class actually starts, this sets the stage for me with breaking the ice. The students i was able to communicate with are already at ease and the others find it easier to speak up.

I feel the same way. The first day will make or break you. You need let them know what you expect from them as well as reinforce that you will do everything you can to help them succeed.

I am going to be a first time nuring instructor in a clinical setting. I have some ideas of how to break the ice, such as telling them briefly about my professional background. Then i plan on having each of them introduce themselves and say a little bit about why they choose nursing and what motivates them. Next will be a scavenger hunt in the hospital(so they are familar with location of necessary supplies, etc.). I will also be clearly explain on the expectations for the course. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi Mary...or have them introduce each other after a brief pair visit. Really like the scavenger hunt idea, perhaps turn it into a contest among teams,

Jay Hollowell
MaxKnowledge/CEE

I agree, let them know we are peers not looking down on them,we are working with them

I agree, the first day is the best day for setting the learning stage. I try to talk to my students and spend about 30 min on introductions and general conversation to get everyone comfortable with the setting and also give them a quick overview of what they will be doing in the course.

Games work well.

I try to talk to my students and spend about 30 min on introductions and general conversation to get everyone comfortable with the setting and also give them a quick overview of what they will be doing in the course.

Hi Charles,
What are some of the methods you use to get to know your students when you first start a class off?
Gary

I have used word assosciation. I usally spend time getting to know the students and learning something about them. Next I review attendance sheet and memorize the list of names and then associate the names with something I remeber about the student.
- Philip Brooks

Hi Phillip,
Thank you for sharing this method of learning student names quickly. This should be the goal of all instructors. This really helps the students to understand that you care about their individual success.
Gary

Sign In to comment