Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Disengaged students

In the school I work with, we do a lot of activities to keep students engaged.  We communicate and send announcements frequently, have video links and motivational quotes and audios in the discussions.  I was trying to see if I can get more ideas here...

Disengaged students present a challenge in the classroom.  As an instructor you can feel when your students are slipping away so you need to be creative to reclaim their attention.  I am a firm advocate of "show & tell".  What I mean by this is that as I am lecturing I bring things that are tangible into the classroom so the students are not just listening but they are able to physically see and touch the things that are being discussed.  This keeps them very interactive and encourages them to participate and ask questions.

@keasha1991 : What is the next level if  the show and tell falls short and you are still struggling to  with disengaged students?

@absolom1 : I make learning a competitive game with small prizes for the most questions answered correctly. 

@lotsal0206 :I have found that if I speak directly to "disengaged students" and find out what interests them or precisely what they hope to get out of the class, I am better able to target their interest. Further, I spotlight the field of interest, allow the student to become the "class expert" in the area of interest and build my lesson plan to show connection between areas of interest and learning objectives. 

Sign In to comment