Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Peps Talks

Students today have many challenges such as work, transportation, $$ for school and supplies, etc.  Of course, these are the same challenges that we faced when we went to school but they do not believe this.  I start each class letting the student know I am glad they are in my class, on time, homework completed and why I am impressed with their efforts.  They need to hear these affirmations from their instructors even when they don't do so well on an assignment.  It let's them know that you care about their academic growth and breaks down some barriers so that the student feels more compelled to come to you with questions.

Loren, I agree with your words,"They need to hear these affirmations from their instructors even when they don't do so well on an assignment."  That is why I use these words when I returned my student's papers, I evaluated your performance on this assignment not your potential.  Next time show me your potential.  Using a number score rather than a grade also helps.

Those are good positive reinforcements to encourage students to keep on trying and doing their best.  I do the same.

Sign In to comment