Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

open ended questioning

I never realived that there were so many ways to ask a question. I am kinda new at all this, but I want everyone to know that it is important to question the students properly to be able to observe to learning going on in your class. I had gotten caught up in the closed questioning, not realizing that I was not really knowing if the students were learning what they needed from me.

Roy,

On the first day, I learn what speciality my students are entering. Then everytime I introduce a new subject, I try to encourage conversation on how that subject affects their career choice. If I receive a deer in the headlights look, I will try to related it back to their chosen field. All my tests are written, no scantrons. It is a blend of knowledge based on the materials discussed in class, the slides and textbook. Then their answer has to include how they would apply that knowledge in their field.

Roy -

Related to posting in discussions: In my online classes we must "sandwich" a comment about the student post, reference something new, but related to the student post, then ask a question about the topic. This then generates a response. It really keeps the discussions flowing! This also works in the workplace!

T

Sign In to comment