Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to rech out to students who are not responsive?

It is critical to get all of the contact information from students upfront.  Their email, phone numbers and even addresses can come in handy in reaching out to them, if at some point they become inactive. 

It is important to get the students info the first day of class and make sure  that they are current specially if they are doing clinical.

You can certainly try to reach out to them via the discussions initially. Then you can call them, of course following any FERPA guidelines and if that is not sufficient, to try to email them as well as a follow up is also important. I think a combination of this, just letting them know to get back to you and to read your email and discussion, will certainly increase the chances. Any other thoughts?

@miriamdelcampo : Making every attempt to reach out to a student is critical to thir success.  As instructors we need to use every way possible to do this.  Email and phone messages can go without response from a student for quite some time but we need to keep trying and encouraging them.

I think it's difficult to reach out to students who are unresponsive but they may respond if they sense that you care. Emailing them information they need to succeed would be helpful.

@miriamdelcampo :

I use small group activities with group discussion.  I ask everyone to particpate and I call on students in a random manor. This assure that all the students participate.  This invites the quiet one to become involved 

@hkruczek :In my experience, before the start of class, I email everyone, addressing their full name, in my class roster the following: that his or her name is in my class roster, the class time, specific location of the class room, and most importantly, let them know that I am looking forward to meet them in class. Despite my class consists of early adults and late adults, I give them the feeling that they are important in class and assure that we will try to work out together for them to be successful in class. Students who are not interested with Math usually are hesitant to attend classes, nevertheless I consistently communicate with them through email, phone call, or text. During the duration of the course, I also randomly communicate with students, those who are both succeeding and struggling to either congratulate them for a job well done or giving moral boost to those who did not do well. 

@miriamdelcampo :  I believe that the first day of class is critical to reach out to every student in the classroom. It is critical that every student knows that they are an important part of the class room in order for the class to run effectively. The first day of class I have the students do a buddy list. They put their name, phone number, email, and cell phone or home phone number. This is a way to connect the students with each other and myself. It is helpful in letting the students know who is in their area and that they can reach out to each other and myself with any concerns or questions. Communication is vital in order to stay connected with each student.

Sign In to comment