Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grades

The most influential part of being an instructor is providing the class with the essential resources and tools to assist and make sure they are fully understanding the information.  Taking this course has open the forum for discussion on how to address issues within my classroom.  Being honest and upstanding in the classroom forum I feel opens the doors for  and understanding from all parties involved.  My question to everyone within the Dashboard how would you address changing policies within your classroom?

Sincerely,

Ms. Ginell Agnew

Excellent question, Ms. G

I've found that honesty--but not too much honesty--is important. Adaption to change is a core competency for any student/employee. Therefore when changes occur, I first explain what the change is and then the benefits of the change to them, to me, and to the school. I also ask that my students provide verbal or written feedback to me after a week...then again in a month.

Knowing that they will be giving feedback in the future puts them in a state of reserving full jugment and makes them feel like they are a part of the process. As far as the resistant-to-change students, this gives them an outlet to express themselves.

I think the most important thing to remember is that it is manageable with time, structure, and a written document. Always include that document in their records and if possible have students sign an acknowledgement of receipt.

Lastly, get your dean's input if this is not a campus-wide policy so no one is blind sided.

Hope that helps :)

Taryn Herrera

I have just completed ED104.   I found its content to be extremely valuable to transfer to the classroom environment.

The original question was how we would address changing policies within a classroom. I think Taryn Herera has a good response, but it indicates much more anticipated involvement by the school in the grading procedure than I am used to.

I have not undertaken changes of any great significance for some time. But my approach became readiical some years ago. I actually simply did this and I explain it each year to the students because it is unique.

One explanation is never compleely adequate. And I try to avoid saying anything like, "We discussed that earlier."

Even though my perspective may be lnger range than theirs, I fully understand anxiety and would like to avoid it. Communication and encouragement seems to help that.

Carl Helrich

Sign In to comment